1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI connection on my 4805

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mrapbp, May 7, 2005.

1. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Guys,

A slight newbie spaz question but...........................

I have just bought a 4805 and I believe it has a DVI cable with it.

Can someone explain (in a way I might understand!!) what DVI is and if it is worth going for over Component.

Also would I need a new DVD player?

Cheers!

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    DVI stands for Digital Visual Interface.

The advantage is that it removes two stages of conversion between your source and display (digital to analogue and back to digital) and thus provides a better image - although this is comparitive with the quality of your kit.

The 4805 doesn't have a DVI socket on the back and isn't supplied with a DVI adaptor. It has a P&D (M1) socket and I got my DVI adaptor from www.lindy.co.uk for about £20. The other thing that you need to know about DVI cable is that you can go cheap as chips below 5m length but may have to shell out big for longer lengths as the signal can peter out somewhat beyond that.

Also a digital signal won't be routed through the faroudja DCDi thingy whereas a non progressive component will. (Source - the 650ish page 'official' 4805 thread over at www.avsforum.com ) I had DVI before my 4805 and it looks great but as I've never tried component I can't help with the comparison.

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    And I've just remembered that according to the Yanks you can't go HDMI - DVI - M1. So don't buy the adaptor until you have chosen your source.

4. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    well explained, thanks!

5. abspag

abspag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Please helpI have just run a DVI cable from my Tag McLaren into the Screenplay 4805 using an adapter M1 (M) to DVI -D (F) and the picture is all shades of pink. I suspect that the shop has sold me the wrong adapter. I set the DVD player to accept a component output as it offers that os svideo and composite. Can anyone please advise as to were I have gone wrong

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have used both types of connection having had a Denon 1910 but wasn't impressed with quality over component. I think the problem lies in the less superior Faroudja in the Denon compared to the very best Faroudja in the 4805. Through the DVI Denon, the de-interlacing is performed by the Denon ( except when set to 1080i (interlaced)) but I found the only setting on the Denon which looked half decent was 720p but this was still not as good as through component.
    For what increase in quality you may get from DVI, I do not believe it is worth the cost compared to a quality DVD player with component output on a 480p projector. Maybe a higher resolution projector would make better use of the upscaling facility on most DVI DVD players.

7. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Having never had a Tag, I'm guessing. But if you've set the DVD to output component (which is analogue YUV) down a cable expecting a digital RGBHV then you'd be lucky to get a good image.

I'd hunt your menus for the right settings. If the tag has a DVI output then it'll have something to enable it (even if it means a firmware upgrade). The 4805 is easy - cycle through the source menu until you find 'computer'.

Failing that I'd try a different cable / adapter combination.