1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI connection from DVD32R to Sanyo Z2 projector?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by rob@rar.org.uk, Sep 9, 2004.

1. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've connected my Sanyo Z2 projector's DVI input to my Tag McLaren DVD32R with PSM module. The picture seems a slight improvement over component connection, but the image does not use the full resolution of the projector. On the left and right hand side of the image there are black strips about 10 or 12 pixels wide which are not used to project the image. The full scale image seems to be projected, but it is not using the full resolution of the LCDs.

Have I failed to set some parameter correctly, or is something else going on? At the moment I'm just using a cheap DVI cable that came with my PC monitor (I want to see if it all works before deciding whether to spend a large amount of cash on a long DVI cable) - are there different types of DVI cable which might affect how the video signal is processed by the Z2?

Regards

Rob

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Rob.
    Sounds like the start/end pixels or the front/rear porch settings for the DVI connection are not quite right, the big question is whether you can alter them.......I have no idea on that model..... I assume everything in the DVD32R is set correctly? Mind you if the BNC output looks right......

DVI cables, well if your using a long length then you will see a difference depending on the quality of the cable, i.e some will work and others might not!

3. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think everything on the DVD32R is set correctly - connecting my plasma to the BNCs at the same time has no problems at all. I've no idea about the flexibility of the Z2 with regard to start/end pixels - unfortunately that's beyond my meagre technical knowledge!

Any other opinions out there?

Regards

Rob

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Rob.
    Don't use your plasma as a reference the pixel res is probably different. Connect the BNC's to the PJ and see if it displays a full screen. The thing is that the analogue inputs on the PJ may go via an internal scaler to show full screen res, the DVI connection might bypass this....
    I'd forgotten the bleeding obvious but have you checked the blanking settings on the PJ? Try winding the L/R out and see what happens (remember what the numbers were to put it back just in case it :censored: up)!
    Ah the joys of digital........

5. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Graham, stuff to test now...

Regards

Rob

6. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Probably seeing the difference between analog and digital active line lengths. The data on the DVD has 720 active pixels per line, however only 704 of them are used to generate an analog output due to slight differences in the timing specifications for digital and analog video lines, leaving 8 black pixels either end of the line. As the DVD32R's DVI output is generated by digitising the analog signal, it will have these thin black bands at each side.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    So.......Altering the start and end pixel count for the DVI input would sort it then? I'll bet that unless that particular model has that facility (hidden in a service menu naturally), its a case of zoom or live with it..... I must admit I'm spoilt with our PJ's as just about everything can be altered per individual input...."you pays your money" etc.....

8. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation John. Is there a setting at the DVD32R/PSM end of things that I could change to alter this, or should I look to the projector to resolve the problem? I'm having difficulty getting info on the Sanyo Z2 (although I'm still wading through hundreds of posts on AVS Forum).

Regards

Rob

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It's at the PJ end you need to sort this one way or another. You could just zoom the image slightly and blank the top and bottom a bit. Not ideal but......

10. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham. I'll do some research to see if any of the Service Menu settings are relevant, but if not I'll just live with it. It's not that much of a problem, and generally the picture is very good for a budget projector (although attendance at last year's Event2 did recalibrate my understanding of what 'a good picture' is!).

Regards

Rob