1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI connection details?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NoDad, Jan 1, 2004.

1. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well....I'm getting everything ready for the new baby (Z2 that is). By the time I've got the screen, speakers, blackout kit, PJ mount etc etc sorted Z2 should be down to <£1k :D :laugh:

Anyway.....I intend to use DVI on PC to drive the PJ. This involves getting a cable from my "office" across the loft to the HT. This cable will be about 5m long and I intend to make my own cable (if I can find the connection details). My reasons for making my own cable is so that I can fit the cable first, without having to make large holes for the connectors.

I am an electronics engineer, so I am happy to make this cable up, using HQ cable of course.

Any of you guys have the details (or can provide a link) for the connections at both the PC end and the PJ end?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You can find the pinout for the DVI connectors below but I really wouldn't bother making your own...just make a small hole and then enlarge it to make a slot as opposed to making a huge hole.

http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html#dvi

Also I'm not sure if you'd have to be carefull about getting the length of all the cables to be near enough the same or not.

I have made several VGA cables consisting of 8 wires - I think - but you're looking at 30 for DVI if all are required - good luck !!!

Cheers, Lee

3. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks loonatic.
    I have the pin details but I want to know specifically which pins are used at each end (or are they all required) and whether any pins are crossed over like on RS232 where TX and RX get swapped or are connections 1:1?

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just buy one from Lindy. Not expensive and much less hassle than trying to make one. I doubt very much you'd be able to buy the connectors though. Farnell and RS certainly don't do them (or didn't a month or so ago) so I think it's one of those connection types that is kept out of the retail space as far as making them go.

Any particular reason you want to make one yourself? Lindy sell all sorts of lengths, inc. 1m, 2m, 5m, 7.5, 10m, etc.

5. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Messiah,
    I think I will just buy one.

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As far as I know you'd need to connect all pins except C1 through C5.

Also...just thought, if your making the cable in-situ wouldn't you have to soilder one end in the air whilst it was hanging from the ceilling !! you could be on to a new sport - extreme soildering :D

Cheers, Lee