1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI card for computer?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BenedictGilman, Apr 25, 2005.

1. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was planning on running a projector (http://www.ivojo.co.uk/sahara-s3615.htm) with a DVI-I input and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a DVI card for my computer that would have the appropriate output.

Thank you.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any card with a DVI connector will be able to feed that projector I would think, meaning any ATI or NVidia card for sure and probably any other you will come across.

What sort of use are you planning to make of that pj?

It's not really ideal for home cinema use, it's too bright and only 4:3 A/R, for gaming or general TV it'll be fine and choice of graphics card will depend on factors other than PQ. At present arguably the best PQ comes from NVidia 6600s, but the difference isn't great and a high-end ATI is going to be preferable for some gaming situations.

3. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right, I was recommended that for home cinema use, is there anything else you'd recommend that would be better? Not likely to be using it for gaming at all and might need a reasonably bright projector as I have large windows / doors.

What's the 4:3 A/R mean by the way? Pardon my ignorance :confused:

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
  5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm very surprised at that, this sort of pj is designed for presentation applications where PQ isn't a prime concern and operation with background lighting is required .. something that kills PQ very quickly once you start adding ambient light.

Also, that pj is a DLP, are do you know if you're affected by the 'rainbow' effect?

Did you get that advice on here? If not then I'd suggest a browse in the DLP/LCD forum where you'll come across the current general favourites such as the Sanyo Z3 or Panny AE700 to name a couple.

6. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was recommended it by a friend, not sure what he's using or whether he really does know what he's talking about. I'll have a more thorough look in the projector forums.

What's the rainbow effect?