1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi cables practical length to run to projector without loss?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gerard143, Aug 19, 2005.

1. gerard143

gerard143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on a quality cable and whats some quality brands....what length can i run to a projector without significant losses.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Gerard

A tricky one - you can install a 15m DVI cable in one system and have no problems and no signal degradation; stick the same cable in a different system and you can get no picture.

If you look at the BetterCables Display Magic range they use the same cable no matter if its a 1m or 15m cable and at 15m the cables have been tested with a 1080P signal to ensure they dent degrade the signal.

You really have to try out the cable you intend to use in your set-up to ensure it works for you - though possibly if you can say what you have others with the same configuration can advise on what they have tried and tested.

See http://www.bettercables.com/dvidcables.html

If you run into problems on relatively short DVI runs with your set up (keep in mind DVI was never intended to go over 7m) you can add a DVI signal amp to your cable run.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2937
    See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3008

Best regards

Joe

3. gerard143

gerard143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gee that sux, i'm afraid to put a booster inline. theres no way signal would be as good using one of those im thinking. Problem is im thinking i'll need atleast a 30 ft cable.

4. gerard143

gerard143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so whats the limitations on hdmi then? same distance?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello gerard143

BetterCables offer you a money back guarantee - I'd suggest you order a 12m DVI and try it in your system.

We rarely have to use the DVI booster with the BetterCables Display Magic II cables.

The Gefen DVI Booster is pretty clean - you'd be hard pushed to 'see' it was in-line.

Best regards

Joe

PS HDMI has the potential to go to 20m - though again it doesn't always work out that way.

Gefen have an HDMI Booster if you have problems; see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2939

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Although I have seen 25m DVI working, I have seen way too many 7m fail and personally I would urge caution with anything over 5m. HDMI is much better in this respect, MUCH. Personally I use Lindy DVI for short cheap and cheerful installations but Bettercables for the 'better / long' stuff. Bettercables here then, the three I now own have never let me down (and the plugs don't break unlike some). Am I the only one who thinks the push fir HDMI could have been better designed? The DVI is a very decent plug and locking however.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Nic

I'm with you - why they didn't use the MDR type 'squeeze to fit' connectors as you see on the likes of Sharp and Pioneer Media receivers is a mystery.

There is a fair old tolerance on HDMI plug sizes and some just wont stay put if you have a long cable.

Best regards

Joe

8. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So say if you needed a 7m HMDI to DVI cable would it be better to use a 7m HDMI to HDMI cable and use a conversion plug at the end HDMI-DVI?

This would mean you would use HDMI cable throughout which is said to have better tolerance (as per your posts). Would the conversion at the plug end affect the signal?

Jack

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The spec for HDMI cable itself is better than for DVI. If you are getting a signal with an HDMI to DVI cable I'd be astounded if you could see any improvement with an HDMI to HDMI cable and an adaptor. I have the parts to test this and will do it on my humble Panny plasma later in the day.

Note though that the HDMI receiver chipsets in products have noise cancellation properties I believe. This means that if you are going to an HDMI socket you can probably go further before getting in to difficulty.....at least that's the spiel

Gordon

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello JackOTrades

HDMI to HDMI plus a DVI adapter vs. HDMI to DVI is unlikely (in my experience) to make much of a difference to what arrives on your Display; though it wouldn't be the first time we came across a problem when using an adapter and favoured the straight HDMI to DVI cable on this type of installation.

The DVI receiver in your Display device does play a part in the signal chain and occasionally we have found one that is more fussy than the norm and have had to stick with an HDMI to DVI cable.

If your only ever running Video over this digital cable run then the likes of BetterCables use the same spec cable no matter if its a DVI or HDMI cable - so you can adapt the HDMI to DVI cable with a DVI>HDMI adapter just as readily as using an HDMI to HDMI cable plus an HDMI>DVI adapter.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236631&goto=newpost

The ability to run a signal over a longer distance with HDMI vs. DVI is down to the spec of the HDMI transmitter/receiver chips in your hardware plus the cable you install - the HDMI spec says up to 20m; though not all HDMI cables will work at that length! Though some potentially go much further.

See http://www.bettercables.com/31me1febecad.html

Best regards

Joe

11. MWD

MWD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can second bettercables as Im running a 9m DVI from an Oppo player to a Z2 projector [which is known to be relatively fussy on cables] with no sparklies and no problems at all.