1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Cables and Powerstrip on a GA4E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PhilipH, Dec 5, 2004.

1. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I now need to sort out getting the PC to display on the GA4E correctly but I can't get my head round the different "flavours" of DVI.

The GA4E connector is (I believe) DVI-I, I currently have an ATi Radeon 9000 card with VGA out running into a HGA to DVI adapter and displaying at 1280 x 768 on the Sharp - that works OK but if I try to do 1368x768 using the predefined modes on Powerstrip then I get a garbled display.

I'm going to replace my graphics card with something a bit newer with DVI output but what cables do I need to go between the two? Just single link DVI-D to DVI-D? Would a dual link DVI-I to DVI-I cable work and be "universal"? Any suggestions on somewhere good to get 6m DVI cables from?

Cheers

Phil

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If you only intend to use a digital connection, get a DVI-D / DVI-D cable. It will plug into both DVI-I and DVI-D connectors. I wouldn't be too bothered with the extra expense of dual link - it is only required for very high resolutions, even 1920x1080i would not require dual link, and I don't even believe that 1080p would require it either - even so, it is years away.

If you went for a DVI-I / DVI-I cable, you would not beable to use it in any DVI-D only equipment. So it is not a universal solution.

-Ian

3. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhhhh ... thankyou ... a simple answer!

Now to try to get 1368 x 768 working from a normal VGA output again...

Phil