1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI cable with RD-XS32 DVD

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Eyeball, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was not sure where to post this so I have done so here since I think the problem could be one of two things.

I have basically bought a DVI to component cable from http://www.pacificcable.com (Part no: DVIRCA-3).

They said this cable would work as my DVD has component and is RGB compatible and TV has DVI-I. Plugged the cable in, selected port on my TV and there is no signal coming out whatsoever. Am I doing something wrong or is this the wrong cable? And before someone asks the inevitable, the DVD was switched on.....

Please help, it's driving me bonkers.

Thanks very much.

S

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Excuse me if I'm being thick, but have you set your dvd to output component? Or do you have to change the input setting on your plasma?

3. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done all the necessary adjustments on the DVD to output component such as the video output to 'video' as RGB eliminates component and then once the cable are attached change the input on tv to DVI and then press 'Progressive' on the remote. That's it as far as I know.....anything else I should try.

Stelio :confused:

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Eyeball

What DVD player do you have - I think you may be being misled by improper labelling of video signals.

RGB and YUV are both Component video signals - though they are incompatible.

Setting your DVD player to 'Video' is most likely setting its SCART socket to output Composite video.

You say your Player remote has a Progressive setting - I'd be keeping the player in RGB mode and then trying Progressive; that may switch on the YUV outputs as the SCART RGB output is NOT progressive.

Do you have a way to test the player with another Display that is YUV Component compatible to ensure you have it set correctly.

Have you confirmed the DVI cable is bi-directional - your connecting YUV to DVI-A not DVI-A to YUV!!!

Also note the over rider on the Pacific Cable site about possibly requiring an adapter when using these cables with YUV (YPbPr) - in the US they don't use RGB+Composite sync as we do here in the UK via a SCART socket. The boys in the US are talking about RGBHV (like on a PC monitor or High Definition Set Top box) when they talk about RGB.

Best regards

Joe

5. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe.
    The DVD player is a RD-XS32. The component ports on the DVD are NOT RGB compatible, as the manual states and have to set the player to output Video and then press progressive on the remote.

However, I had the wrong cable and I'm going out this weekend to get the correct one and will let you know but according to other posts concerning the DVI port on the 32PF9986 in this forum it isn't looking too promising.

Regards,
    S