1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Cable suggestions?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by PhilB1234, Jul 12, 2004.

1. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having lost out on the AV192+PSM (damn-you last second eBay bidders) that I was after I have bought a DVD32+PSM and wanted to see if anyone could suggest a DVI cable that works well......
    My questions are:
    -Is it worth spending the extra ££s on Wireworld or Monster versions,
    -I'm looking for 10m, at 576p/50Hz is there likely to be any issue?
    -What are others using?
    -Do I need to choose between Dual Link and Single Link, DVI-I and DVI-D, or does it not matter?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly:

DVI-I (Integrated - analog and digital)

over certain lengths the signal can deteriorate (looks like the Matrix has taken over your screen!)

3. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Phil,

I had a bit of the play with DVI cabling. I originally needed 15m and I was able to get it in UK for some ludicrous price tag (around £300) and no guaranty that it would work at that distance. DVI cabling is specifying cable length of max 7.5m. What you would probably need to get is a DVI repeater. I myself got Gefen and imported it directly from USA http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1207 . Next, I got some DVI-I cables from www.lindy.co.uk. This set up makes sure that it will work100% and should be future proof when 1080i comes into UK. Total cost for me was under £300.

Hope that this answers your question, if you need more info, just ask.

PS
    If you try to get Gefen Repeater from UK dealers they would try to charge you £280 + VAT for it. So much about rip off Britain….

4. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Many thanks.
    If you bought the Lindy cable it is DVI-D, not DVI-I, and by the sounds of it you got good results. I suspected the output from the PSM would be Digital only, so I think I'll try this cable.... it's certainly not overpriced!!
    Any other comments you would make? Easy to set-up, any issues with getting the two to 'talk'?

5. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I purchased a RAM Electronics DVI-D Dual Link cable from the US - 50ft for US$250; obviously cheaper for shorter lengths. I chose the dual link over single link to future proof myself for future higher grade signals. :thumbsup:

You can see their website at www.ramelectronics.net

The output from my DVD32R / PSM goes into an NEC HT1100 Projector - the picture is really good; excellent on DVD, i'd recommend these cables but am not so sure on a DVI Repeater - never seen one but would be v.interested to hear from anyone on results since none exist here to view.

Cheers,

6. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add an update: I did indeed get the Lindy DVI-D cable as mentioned above (under £40!!!) and have just connected it up with marvelous results! So no problem with a 10m run, and once I'd realised that the PSM needed to be told to output RGB not component (thanks Barry!!) results were instant and very pleasing!!