1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI cable question for new PJ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ttree sound, May 17, 2005.

1. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have just taken delivery of a 10m Lindy DVI-D SLD cable which I hope to connect from the graphics card of my PC ( ATI X800 PRO) to a new PJ - Themescene H30A which should arrive tomorrow. After checking the connection on the plug of the cable, it has only got 18 pins plus 1 flat pin, whereas the graphics card dvi to vga adapter which came with the card has 24 pins plus 1 flat pin surrounded by 4 pins, which the card manual describes as a DVI-I connector. :confused: Will this cable work? Are the extra pins on the adapter just for analogue use only?

2. seb4213

seb4213
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It should work (only one way to find out for sure though!)

If you look at some scart leads they have less pins that others, I think some are redundant for certain purposes so are left out, i.e if its only being used for input not output.

3. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi ttree, it sounds like you have a DVI digital single link cable (the top one in the list of pictures on the Lindy webpage ).
    This means it will carry a digital signal only. Your DVI-VGA convertor is to connect the analogue VGA signal onto a DVI-I cable. The VGA signal (RGBHV) is carried down the four pins that surround the flat pin (plus pin 8 I think). Therefore you'll need a DVI-I cable to carry a VGA-originated analogue signal.

I'd have thought an X800 Pro would have a DVI digital connector on it, so you should use that with the DVI-D cable.

The Lindy page mentions that the difference between 18 pin digital and 24 pin digital (single link and dual link) is bandwidth. The dual link carries two digital streams to support the higher resolutions.