1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI cable quality - whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by brain, Jul 26, 2004.

1. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase an Hitachi tx100 projector to use in conjunction with my PC. I shall be connecting through DVI only.

I require a 5m DVI cable - but I see cables costing over £100! Why is this so? Could I not just buy a 5m DVI cable costing about £10 that would do the same job [as long as it has the magnets at each end]? It is a digital signal after all so why should I pay over £100 for a DVI cable if the same can be achieved with a much cheaper variant?

Can someone please explain this to me - obviously the more expensive cables have silver connectors etc - but in reality would it make much difference over 5m? I could understand more expensive cables for analogue - but for this digital format?

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    5M is around the limit for DVI, depending on the quality of the cable, the resolution and refresh rate you may get loss of data (sparklies). The expensive cables offer more of a guarantee that its going to work. The best bet is to buy the cheap cable and give it a go. 5M is usually fine.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Brain

The difference with many of the Low cost and Higher cost cables is going to be how they handle the signals your sending over the cable and how far your signal has to travel; with a projector you'll quickly see artefacts and 'sparkles' in your image if the cable is in any way inhibiting the signal.

5m is the cross over point I find between definitely having to go higher spec/cost and getting away with the low cost cables.

I supply Molex (low cost) and BetterCables (higher cost) - I supply both on Sale or Return so if you want one of each to test with your set-up and keep the one that works best for you send me a PM.

Best regards

Joe

PS Possibly some of the other cables suppliers on the Forums will also offer Sale or Return - your not restricted to TMF!

4. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will do that - buy the cheap option and see how it goes. At a later date I can get a better cable if I decide that it is needed...

5. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I tried a 5M DVI cable from here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/dvi_cables.html and it worked fine on a sanyo plv-z2

I really would try a cheap lead first, hey whats the point in paying top dollar for little difference?

And overclockers are sound, they are just down the road from where I work and they are very experienced, helpful people just very very busy - they stock the best at the lowest prices - pretty much.

6. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats exactly where i was going to buy from - great minds think alike!
    However, they are out of stock :(
    Know any other places that sell DVI cables? - I want a cable with the magnets at each end.