1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI cable, PC and Pio 433MXE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sapper, Jun 1, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi folks,

I currently own a ~18 month old MESH PC which has a DVI output on the graphics card.

My Pioneer plasma 433 MXE also has a DVI Input.

What benefict would I gain from using this form of connection? WOuld I get better quality pictures/movie from the PC?

Which cable should I use? Having doen a breif online search, there seem to be slightly different flavours of DVI etc, though my searching has not been extensive.

Fiamlly, if I was to connect my Pc to the plasma using either VGA or DVI, how does the screen cope with the 16:9 ratio as opposed to the 4:3 format of most PC monitors?

Any suggestions etc would be most appreicated.

Adrian

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Adrian
    I've just posted something relevant to this on the thread comparing Iscan ultra and the KD card. This may get moved to the HTPC forum

Basically my experience is what you get is miles better PQ, depending of course on your kit.

I use a DVI cable supplied by Joe Fernand when I bought the screen. There are more expensive ones. I would talk to Joe.

I have to confess that resolutions and aspect ratios etc leaves me struggling a bit, but I can tell you what I do,which may help.

Don't know what your kit is, but mine is the following -

Athlon XP processor
    Radeon 9000 graphics set at 1024x768 @ 75Hz refresh rate and latest catalyst 3.4 drivers
    Toshiba DVD/RAM drive
    Theatertek playback software
    Nebula Digital TV PCI card

As I said elsewhere DVD PQ is superb and better than almost any set top player, certainly under £1000. Terrestrial digital TV using the Nebula card is also top notch.

I watch DVDs with the aspect ratio set to 1024x768, which leaves smallish black bars top and bottom, but OK. At the moment I don't have any fancy remote control set up for the PC - but now that i have more or less decided that this is the way to go with the 433 i may now invest in a dedicated HTPC case with something like IrMan to control it.

Be warned though, the PC route is much more fiddly than using set top players, and PCs crash more often than set tops. But with perseverance it is a cost effective route to upping your PQ and makes use of the 433MXEs connectivity.

3. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DVI should be your first choice of connection - would also leave the VGA fee for other RGB/YUV connections.
    I think there are two types of DVI cable - single and dual giving 4.9 and 9.9Gbps of digital transmission.

For aspect ratio and precision timing control try PowerStrip by Entech (http://www.entechtaiwan.com/)

Also I think the 433mxe may support 1280x768 in one of the modes which will give you 15:9 ratio.

Most GPU drivers these days will support a few of the more popular 16:9 ratios.

Remember to use the best refresh rate for your source - i.e., if your watching a region 1 NTSC film dvd, try either 48Hz or 72Hz, but on the other hand if your watching a region 2 PAL film dvd, try either 50Hz or 75Hz. But then again if it's a region 2 PAL video dvd, try 60Hz.

Take a gander at the HTPC forums for much more information - probably too much information :D

RAMiAM