DVI cable for PHilips 32PF9986...

andy c!

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
what brand etc of cable are folks using to connect a DVD player to the above LCD TV?

not sure if this is the right place to post this but surfed the cables section with a neg res...

regards,

andy c!

I've sue a cheap freebie I got with my computer monitor...there were two in the box. Rubbish quality - perfect picture. It's digital you see...

Jimmy

Even with digital you need a semi-decent cable surely? :confused:

It is possible, I suppose, to get a cable bad enough to upset the Algorythms. But it would have to be really dire. Digital is just on, off, on, on etc, but I guess a better cable may be helpful once we start pushing through some hard core, heavy duty, HiDef, digital signals...

If purchasing a new cable I suppose I'd go for a decent quality low priced one.

Jimmy

I have a Wireworld Ultraviolet which retails at circa 100 quid. You've bought a 2 grand screen so don't skimp on the cables!

I'm not saying spend a 100 quid but as a minimum you should look at the 40-50 quid range.

You can certainly tell the difference between a cheapy and a quality cable especially if you are running anything over the standard metre or so length

simonn5 said:
I have a Wireworld Ultraviolet which retails at circa 100 quid. You've bought a 2 grand screen so don't skimp on the cables!

I'm not saying spend a 100 quid but as a minimum you should look at the 40-50 quid range.

You can certainly tell the difference between a cheapy and a quality cable especially if you are running anything over the standard metre or so length
Nonsense.

Complete and utter nonsense.

I can honestly say that throughout my complete setup, the dearest cable is a very nice Component cable that cost me £8.99! I also use Flat cable scarts that cost me £5.99...

I've done comparisons directly between these cables and more expensive QED and Monster cables. (On loan). The cables I'm using are no name brand ones from www.tvcables.co.uk The quality of construction is very good, but certainly not in the league of the more expensive cables. However the picture quality was not perceptably different!

I'm a real stickler for the perfect picture, and would do virtually anything to improve the view...but I have certainly found that these excessively priced cables offer little or nothing to improve the view from my sofa.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the cheap ' n' nasty plastic freebie cables are detestible, but I also find silly expensive cables equally detestible.

Simonn5, you refer to seeing the difference between a 'cheapy' and a 'High Quality' cable...It is possible to get cables that are both.

Jimmy.

Jimmy,

We are all entitled to an opinion you have yours and I have mine :D

I would love to have saved money by buying cheaper but the quality of the picture is not up to scratch compared to what I'm seeing now - IMHO of course :)

A good way of distinguishing between a poor cable and a decent cable is looking at things like the lettering of film titles - there is a noticeable bleeding or fuzziness with a poor quality cable that is just not there with something decent.

Try it and see

Sorry about the rant last night. It really gets me when somebody says, you must spend £40 - £50 on cables....

..you really don't. The cables I referred to are really nice quality cables and they provide a blemish free, stable picture that belies their pricing.

Try them and see...

Jimmy

Maybe it's best then to go for something inbetween: not spend £70-£110 on cables that have been hand made by craftsmen who learnt the art from ancient masters using secret scrolls; but equally not buying string and simply pulling it very tight. I have mix of cables: expensive Scarts becuae I reckon I can see a difference, medium speaker and average DVI. Seems to work and I haven't spent a fortune. :confused:

HI,
Thanks for the replies. Jimsan I can see what you mean re cheap v expensive cables - I have been there and done that with my Naim kit - and ended up using what they supplied! I have altered my mains cabling etc including seperate spurs quite extensively tho - this is a no-brainer upgrade and the differance in sound quality alone is amazing.

I think I will seek something out today in the £30-£50 bracket & will report back on my findings.

I am borrowing a Denon 1910 and 2910 to try out into the philips - should be interesting...

regards,

andy c!

Just to put my 2p in.

With analogue cables, I would agree that spending a little more than the basic cable does help. I have a friend who bought a CD player and I told him to get new interconnects as the old one was running off the original free interconnects. We connected the CD player with the old interconnects and found a huge improvement over the previous sound with it being new and all, but then we put in the new interconnects and you could the tisss of missed cymbles and other highes that were previously not there. I'm not an audiophile but even I could hear it.

Going back to digital, I agree with Jimsan, digital can only be on or off so there shouldn't be much of a difference between the freebie cable and the expensive cable unless the freebie cable is completely crap where the separate channels in the cable start to interfere with each other. Can't see that hapening though.

Andy c, where are you loaning the DVD players from ?

I tend to agree with Jim where it comes to digital cables. Digital signals are either on or off and error correction makes sure what is received is correct or resent. Think of your home broadband or even dial-up connection. Do you ever get an email that's a bit blurry? Or a music file in which the bass isn't quite right (compared to the originally transmitted file)? No. Those signals have travelled over thousand of miles of optical cable, copper wire, cheap and expensive switches, etc, etc and still arrived perfectly. Yes there may be delays or stutters in receiving due to network issues but a simple 2m metre connection between AV units will not have these.

Of course, analogue is a different issue.

I'm going to try my dvi lead that connects my pc to my tft monitor for demo purposes, if I can't get a lead from leicester today...

andy c!

The signal with digital is bi state, however the timing of the signal is not. This is why with digital audio, cables do make a difference. Jitter can affect the quality of the sound and jitter will be affected by the cable signature amongst other factors. Internal reflections and interfaces can also introduce jitter, especially in optical cables.

However, whether digital video is affected by timing is something that I have not found out. It it is a digital signal for amplitude but, like digital audio, if it is analogue in the time domain, then the cable will have an affect on PQ. However, if timing, within a normal window does not affect the picture, ie as long as all the information for a frame is received within a certain time frame, PQ will be unaffected by jitter in the signal.

There are reports of cable quality affecting PQ, even from reputal sources, but so far, this has been only for longer lengths. This is also backed up by manufacturers who will only certify their cables at certain resolutions for below certain lengths.

For me, the jury is out and I will be sticking with my generic HDMI->DVI-D cable. But I will be borrowowing a more expensive cable in due course and make my own decision. Just like I did with digital audio where I ended up auditioning a selection and buying the ones that produced the sound that I liked best.

-Ian

inventor said:
I tend to agree with Jim where it comes to digital cables. Digital signals are either on or off and error correction makes sure what is received is correct or resent. Think of your home broadband or even dial-up connection. Do you ever get an email that's a bit blurry? Or a music file in which the bass isn't quite right (compared to the originally transmitted file)? No. Those signals have travelled over thousand of miles of optical cable, copper wire, cheap and expensive switches, etc, etc and still arrived perfectly. Yes there may be delays or stutters in receiving due to network issues but a simple 2m metre connection between AV units will not have these.
Regarding the music file. Your analogy is correct if you download a file to your PC and play from there, but if you stream a music file, delays will make a difference in sound quality. Too much delay will result in the sound audibally glitching, smalls delays will however be buffered and reclocked and sent out at the correct time which is why you will not hear any apparent fault.

-Ian

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom