dvi boards - panasonic plasma screens

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by kwijibo, Oct 17, 2002.

1. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm seriously considering an imminent purchase of a 50" panasonic plasma screen but am confused by the options, mainly the DVI board.

What is it?

Is the DVI board worth getting for the panasonic plasmas?
    What does it do?
    Why would I want it?
    Does it make any difference to the picture from DVD?

Help someone?

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    The DVI board is for pc connection using a graphics card with a DVI output. This can have advantages for pc (dvd rom/browsing etc.) quality of image as it's a direct digital to digital connect with exact pixel mapping.
    However, if you use one instead of getting the component card you will obviously lose the ability to connect a dvd player via component, or Sky if you choose to use an rgb to VGA or RGB to component converter. I also heard (earlier in year) that the DVI board had a limited aspect option of 4:3 - maybe it's improved now?
    So unless you really want the very best pc connect it's not worth it for most home buyers - usually just corporates with stocks etc. Plus remember with the component card you will still have the VGA port for pc - I use it and it's fine.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,255
    kwijibo

Just to add to Encaser's post.

DVI is still very much in its infancy and currently only TAG Mclaren offer a DVI equipped DVD player (its part of the PSM192 progressive scan module that can be fitted to there DVD and AV possessor models) - there are quite a few projectors and plasma displays now appearing with DVI inputs and I guess more DVD player manufacturers 'may' join TAG and offer DVI in the near future.

A DVI enabled PC utilised for DVD playback is a great option to purchasing a conventional DVD payer - though not for everyone I guess! (especially MAC lovers!!!)

As per Encaser's post the idea behind DVI being that you cut out two lots of video processing between your source (PC or DVD) and your Display (a conventional VGA PC output is an analogue RGB signal - the PC graphics card having turned the digits your PC is working with into analogue before sending it out to your display - and your display then has to turn the analogue RGB back to a digital signal before your plasma video board can process it).

The Panasonic TH-50PHD5BX does have a DVI option - though as Encaser points out you can only fit either the DVI or the BNC (Component video) card; one 'flaw' in Panasonics DVI processing is that it only offers a true pixel to pixel (non processed) 1024x768 resolution - so on the 1366x768 display you either have to watch a letter boxed image or 'stretch' the image to fill the screen which sort of destroys some of the benefits of the digital RGB signal.

DVI is only useful if you have a DVI output on your source kit - so if you dont then stick to the BNC board with the Panasonic display. I must add that my personal preference in the 50" market is the Pioneer PDP-503MXE - this has Component video and DVI as standard so offers you the best of both worlds. Also the Pioneer is absolutely silent in its operation whilst the Panasonic has fans - not an issue for everyone but they can be a bit obtrusive in a quiet room.

Best regards

Joe

PS Encaser - you need to get out more often!

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832

I would, if only my office (one of them) wasn't at home and the net wasn't a skive <slaps self on wrist!>. Anyhoo Joe, don't think I haven't noted the odd hours you troll on here - plasmas obviously in yer blood <ducks:blush:>

5. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound & Vision Bolton are selling the Panasonic 50" for £5000, I bought one and it is stunning! I connect my Pace Freeview digibox RGB output to the plasma PC input using a Syncblaster from Keene Electronics, my Sky digibox goes to the AV input and my DVD player to the component input. Everything works well and I am delighted!

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    My G4 mac has a dvi port and plays dvd's fine on my 17" lcd flat panel ...

I'd love to try the dvi card in my panny one day ... ;-)

If you can get hold of a card - fancy a play Joe ??

rgds

Jon

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,255
    Jon

I'll see if I can borrow one from my man at Panasonic and get back to you to set up a visit.

Joe

PS Mac user - dangerous ground here! I'm not really a fully paid up member of the MAC community, though we do have a G3 MAC at home - we sometimes undertake video, multimedia and print projects so I have to 'fool' the freelancers that we pull in for these projects that I know something about OSX and the like!!!

8. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    Joe

Sounds like a plan ... drop me a PM/email when you get one in and we'll get together ...

rgds

Jon