1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI and overscan???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kane D Williams, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If I was to send an up-scaled 1280x720p signal from a Momitsu V880 or similar DVI equipped DVD player to a projector such as the Sanyo Z2 (via DVI-D), will the player have over-scanned the picture at all? If I instead send the native DVD resolution of 480p or 576p via DVI, would the projector overscan the picture when up-scaling it to it's native 720p res?

If there is no over-scanning in either situation, I guess the best picture would be produced by whichever machine (player or PJ) has the best scaling technology?

At present, my PJ receives an interlaced signal via component and the PJ scales it to its XGA resolution. There is definite over-scanning taking place, but I am not sure if the player, projector or both are to blame? To get around this annoyance, my Toshiba SD900E has the capability to zoom out as well as in, and thus I can recover the entire hidden picture. The mode is not ideal however, as the zoom mode is a bit random in the amount it zooms!

2. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does nobody know the answer to my question, or did I just not make myself clear?

Thanks for any info.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've no idea about that DVD player's output via DVI, nor how the Z2 will deal with it :)

But, you're correct, the best image will be produced by going with whichever device (DVD player or projector) has the best scaling ability.

Overscan isn't usually a problem with digital projectors - they show 100% of what they receive (usually).

:smoke: