1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI and optical cables!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Cougs, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Cougs

Cougs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well in the next week or so, i will be getting the projector and a HTPC...

i realised there's a big problem, cabling! The dobly receiver is at the front of the room, and the projector will be at the back. How am I going to connect to the sound via optical and video via DVI?

apparently i cant get very long DVI cables... is that true?

my primary question is, where do you think I should put my HTPC? at the back of the room, to minimize the DVI cable lenght, and get a really long optical cable from the back of the room to the front where the dobly receiver is?

and another question is, i'll probably be getting a HDTV set top box, should that connect to the tv in of my PC (via svideo) or RGB straight to the projector?

hmm while writing this, i just realised where are my VCR abd Playstation2 going to be? i guess all this can be solved by buying a ****load of cables?

*confused* lol

2. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey.
    Depends on yr room size.Most people recomend not exceeding 7.5m lengths of dvi cable,although I have a 10 m run and it works fine.any more than this is not a good idea.

Optical is excellent for long runs but not cheap.

So,providing where talking about vast distances,you could place the hcpc about 7.5m away from the projector and then feed a long optical to your amp where it is presently.So somewhere in the middle of the two.
    Alternativley you could consider cieling runs, and cut down on the lengths of cable you would need,.
    :hiya:

p.s just noticed yr last comment.

If yr prepard to compromise you could use wireless video/audio senders recievers for yr console.