dvi and hdmi

rumone

Standard Member
Reaction score
recently posted athread concerning a sagam hd-hd45,and i,am not sure hd ready means on this tv[very new to this game!]it as dvi on it,so will i have to look for dvd players etc with dvi on them to get hd?in other words what is the difference between dvi and hmdi?sorry if this as been asked before but i am a bit of a numpty and slightly behind the times!!!!cheers paul

DVI - Video only
HDMI - Video + Sound

Note different versions of HDMI exist 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & 1.3
Also different versions of DVI exist as well (but all video only)

The most important difference is HDCP compliance

you can get DVI with and without this feature
the early Sagems were DVI without HDCP which will totally screw people who want to watch SKy HD or Bluray/HD players using HDMI sockets.

scarty16 said:
DVI - Video only
HDMI - Video + Sound

Note different versions of HDMI exist 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & 1.3
Also different versions of DVI exist as well (but all video only)
how do i get sound then?

rumone said:
how do i get sound then?
Using the audio terminals on the unit.

Hello rumone

That's about a thousand questions rolled into one :)

HD - there are various ways of receiving an HD source signal; PC, HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc, Broadcast, D-VHS etc.

In the UK the Broadcast HD will all be Output as 1280x720 Progressive or 1920x1080 Interlaced at 50Hz with most devices offering you Analogue (YPbPr) via 'Component' Video or Digital via HDMI.

Where you plan to use the Digital connection (HDMI) you need to ensure any Display device equipped with a DVI socket is HDCP compliant - - as well as being compatible with 720p and 1080i at 50Hz.

With a TV equipped with a DVI Input socket you usually also have a related audio input for your Stereo or multi-channel source signal.

HDMI or DVI are not the preserve of HD - lots of DVI and HDMI equipped kit is SD.

So dig out your User Manual and see what signals your Display supports on its DVI and YPbPr Inputs.

Joe

thanks for the reply,s as for looking in the user manual it states i can view hd dvd by using inputs pc1?if so what are the best cable,s?also i have seen dvi cable at one end and hdmi at the other[i u no what i mean]how do they work?

Hello rumone

HDTV - that covers a multitude of sins!

You need to know exactly which 'flavour' of HDTV your Display accepts - as before HDTV comes in many forms and not every HDTV TV accepts them all; in fact the vast majority only accept a sub set.

There are lots of HDTV units that DON'T work with the HD broadcasts such as those that SKY HD are Outputting - that's why the 'HD Ready' logo/standard was invented as a guide for European consumers - see http://www.hdready.org.uk/

HDMI to DVI cables are bi-directional - in general once DVI enters the signal path you loose the audio signal present on an HDMI equipped source; there is a standard for DVI Audio its just that very few manufacturers actually use it.

DVI and HDMI are pretty much interchangeable in terms of video quality - though DVI is not great over long cable runs unless you have a very decent cable.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom