1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI and HDMI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bobgriffiths, Jan 15, 2004.

1. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may not be the right forum for this!

what are the differences with HDMI and DVI am i right in thinking that HDMI is capable of interlaced as well as progressive scan and that HDMI supports sound but apart from that they are basicaly the same but different pin configurations? I have read threads from the HTPC forums with adaptor leads from one to the other but PC are quite different to home user electronics.

some one please teach me i want to learn (reps talk bull!!):lesson:

Bob

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow great links!! what a search engine this forum is!!! google eat your heart out.

from the links i can tell that HDMI is a great connector the equivelent of a next generation scart and copy protection to keep the money men happy!!
    In one of the links it says that its part of the spec that you could split video and audio info from a source component for eg from a DVD player you could send video to plasma and digital audio to a reciever do such cables exist now? or is it a bit early yet ?

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    HDMI doesn't support audio yet. In it's current form its video only.

5. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well thats the thing will it be straight compatible with spdi when it does support audio ?OR will it be a new audio standard type sparking a sales boom for AV equipment with the new audio format connector call me cynical but manufacturers are behind the specification (the articles say it will support standard and digital surround formats)none of the articles ive found tell you the nitty gritty details about the audio part of HDMI .

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi,
    Just to correct Jeff, HDMI does support audio at the moment but only stereo and not multi-channel. 2nd generation HDMI with multi-channel audio support will probably be released later this year. Hope this helps.

Steve

Edit: Just noticed parky's thread with next gen HDMI details.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
  8. TechMan

TechMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The video interface for DVI and HDMI are identical as can be seen from reading the HDMI standard.

HDMI in addition will include audio and control signals as well as HDCP (copy protection). The connectors are different but it will be possible to have a DVI to HDMI cable although you will lose audio and control. The standard and other info is available from:

www.hdmi.org

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    identical? No, related yes perhaps 'HDMI includes DVI with HDCP as a full subset' might be better description as there are difference that can matter here. Some manufacturers are planning 480i HDMI outputs that DVI inputs cannot recognise for starters