1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI and HDMI - some clarification questions.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by TheBoingoBandit, Sep 18, 2004.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    No matter how much and what I've read, I still don't completely understand the differences btween DVI and HDMI.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer my questions with some nice concise answers.

1) DVD-D and HDMI v1.0 are basically the same thing but using different connectors?

2) The only difference between DVI-D and DVI-I is that DVI-I has more pins on the connector and can also send an analogue VGA signal as well, is this true?

3) Can a DVD player sporting a DVI-D output send a picture to a screen which has DVI-I input?

4) Can a PC sporting a DVI-I output send a picture to a screen which has a DVI-D input?

5) Can a DVD player sporting a HDMI output send a picture to a screen which has either a DVI-D or DVI-I input?

6) Can a PC sporting a DVI-I output send a picture to a screen which has HDMI input?

7) Can a DVD player sporting a DVI-D output send a picture to a screen which has HDMI input?

8) What variations of DVI and HDMI cables are there available on the market?

I lot of questions I know, but if anyone could fill in the blanks I (and maybe some others on here) would be greatful. :)

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    There are 5 types of DVI cables.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

There are 2 types of HDMI v1.0 and 1.5

As far as I know, HDMI is both a Video and Audio cable that is 100% digital and has a high bandwith and is going to become the industry standard form now on.

DVi was origianly designed for PC use, but has been ported over to the AV world. It is a Pure digital cable in its DVi-D form, but can also use ananlog signlas in its DVi-i and DVi-A forms. It is a pure video cable and does not carry an audio signal!

In my case i beleive that a 24pin DVi-D Dual cable must be optimal for pure digital video since it doesnt bother with sound. I leave the sound to a coaxial cable.

However, HDMI will probably become an industry standard since it is simpler to use 1 cable for every thing rather than 2 sepparate cables.
    Its a lot like say a fire wire cable used for audio.

Personaly i feel the HDMI cable looks cheaper that a good DVi cable. And like I said, i preffer DVi since it is a pure video cable.

BOTH cables are completely interchangable which is why there are HDMI to DVI cables availabel.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hopefully the following answers will help. Once you understand the physical connectors, im sure there will be many questions on what resolutions can be used!

Ian

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Ian has answered well but there is more.

3) It can as Ian says but yet again you need to be aware that if your DVD player adds HDCP to it's output then the display must be HDCP compliant. Also should note that you also need to make sure the display supports the resolutiona dn refresh rates you want to send from your DVD player.

5) Same comments as above

I think we're going to start seeing a gibber differentation between DVI and HDMI inputs. By that I mean the DVI inputs on products are likely to start only supporting PC resolutions and HDMI inputs will start supporting only video resolutions. Even although technically there is no need for this I believe it'll happen due to marketing influences. So if you want to DVI-I/D/HDMI etc you need to be careful adn test first or find someone you trust who knows.....

Gordon

5. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for all the help. It certainly clears up a few matters to me.

Until there can be one standard easy-to-explain digital connection expect it not to become a mass market product yet and more and more plasmas and LCDs to be still sold with 50p scart leads feeding lovely composite signals. :(