• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

dvi and bluray

cygnusx04

numpty question - but just wanted to check. My HDTV (1080p) seems to be sharper from pc HDMI -> tv DVI rather than pc HDMI -> tv HDMI. If I go the DVI route will I stil be able to watch Bluray disks? I'm thinking yes as DVI is HDCP compliant.

I will either go from HTPC HDMI to TV using DVI.

or if I get an amp, go from HTPC HDMI to amp HDMI, then from amp and into TV via DVI. I trust I will be able to bitstream the audio this way?

thanks

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
There's no reason why DVI should give a better picture than HDMI; they are almost indentical in the way they work. You would be better tweaking your PC to get the HDMI output right.

cygnusx04

twigster - yes that would be the logical answer. Unfortunately because the TV is really a monitor, it would appear that LG didn't put the correct EDID information into HDMI connection. There are plenty of threads on this site relating to the fuzzy picture produced by some of LG's tv's / monitors. LG's own manual says HDMI is not supported over PC connection :(

will have to put up with it though as only decent screen I could find in 27" - didn't want to go up to 32".

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom