1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Analogue and Digital Pinouts needed for Y-splitter cheap dual input solution

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by spanky2k, Jun 8, 2005.

1. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any pinout diagrams for the DVI specifications. What I'm looking for are seperate images for both the pinouts for the DVI analogue specification and also the DVI digital specifications.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to find out if they share any common wires (apart from any ground wires of course) because if they don't then it should be relatively simple to construct a 'y splitter' cable that would give a screen two inputs from two different computers (or dvd players, HD receivers etc).

I've got a Medion 30 inch screen which has a single DVI connector however I can choose with the remote weather I want to use an analoge or a digital signal. Ideally I'd like to have two computers attatched to it at any one time but DVI splitter boxes cost loads and I'd rather stay away from VGA splitter boxes since I like the quality and crystal clearness of DVI for my graphics and gaming machine. Also being able to switch by just using the TV's remote would be sooo much nicer!!

Kind Regards,

Phil

2. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've been able to work out which pins are used by the VGA side of things on a DVI-I connector, being the following:

6 DDC Clock
    7 DDC Data
    8 Analog vertical sync
    15 Ground (for 5 V)
    16 Hot Plug Detect
    C1 Analog Red
    C2 Analog Green
    C3 Analog Blue
    C4 Analog Horizontal Sync
    C5 Analog Ground

All of the one's called 'Analog' will obviously be VGA only, I don't think the Hot Plug one is that important and all of the grounds would be common anyway. The only ones that I'm not sure about are the DDC clock and data pins. Are they used by digital signals and if they are, are they vital for the VGA signals? I would have guessed they wouldn't be vital since an RGB only needs the individual channel signals, the ground signal and then preferably also the horizontal and vertical sync signals.

3. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
  4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    RockySpieler

You are a star... I have a call out with the seller - I am not sure if it will work the other way around - VGA + DVI-D -> DVI-I ... I think the gender of the connections may be wrong but am not sure.

-Ian

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I got the following response from the seller. I have gone ahead as it is cheap enough to experiment with and will post my findings in due course but it will not be for a week or so. I am sure that the seller will have more units to sell once this auction has closed.

-Ian

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have received my item. The gender of the connectors are indeed correct (VGA + DVI-D female in -> DVI-I male out) - it acts as an extension to existing DVI-D and VGA cables and plugs direct into the DVI-I socket on the display.

So far I have only tried the VGA side of things as my DVD player is off for service. But it looks like this unit will allow a VGA-PC and DVI-D device like a DVD player to be connected to a single DVI-I input on a TV. Obviously your display needs to have seperate manual input selection for VGA or DVI-D.

-Ian

7. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Cool!!

I only just got round to checking this thread again and I've just bought one of those thingies!! I've been searching for months for a simple solution like this!!

8. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Ian, any luck with this? What happens if you have both devices on at the same time? I have ordered similar to this but " 2 DVI -> 1 DVI ", the only trouble is I don't want to damage the TV by having two devices feeeding a signal at once if you understand me?

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I thought that I had already answered this, but, since stumbling across this post again and that I appear not to have, I shall just do a quick update.

I have not got any further with testing - reason, my PC is only occasionally connected (in a year I have only done this once but I wanted this for a future connection) and also I am having DVI issues that appear to be related to cabling - so I want the cable to be as simple as possible.

However, I do not anticipate any problems except in the control lines for the EDID - It has been recommended to me to disconnect the pins from the VGA cable. I just need to confirm what pins they are (looks to be 6 & 7) and find a VGA cable that I can cannablise.

-Ian