DVE + Plasma

Tesla

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the PAL Component DVE version.
Whenever I do home installs it comes in very handy and always leaves a smile on the customers face! (Yes, I do work for comet so some of their employees can set up equipment relatively well. I am on sales though so rarely do installs)

My question though, can this disc be used to calibrate a plasma?

Obviously it will work and I guess I can use the pluge to set brightness but does bleeding occur around the edges of whites if contrast is too high on plasma? The same with colour?

Some general advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I found DVE to be helpful when setting up my plasma, but found that the contrast test didn't really help on a plasma.

I adjusted the PLUGE, sharpness and colour settings in the same way that I would for a CRT, and find the results very cinematic, but the contrast test doesn't seem to be appropriate for plasma.

I cranked the contrast setting to 100%, and still found that the image didn't appear to bloom, nor did any of the IRE boxes at the bright end of the greyscale merge into each other as they do on my LCD computer monitor. Although it was clear that the picture was seriously overdriven, it still passed the contrast tests on DVE, which was clearly incorrect.

The best solution I found was to calibrate the contrast by eye. I lowered the setting until the overdriven image was replaced by a cinematic look, which I found to be around 25%.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has a contrast test which applies to plasma screens.

I use both the Avia and DVE for the calibration of my plasma. I experience the same difficulties with setting the correct contrast using the different test patterns on the discs, help most wanted!

The contrast test on DVE isn't particularly suitable for any other type of display either - the advice given is largely wrong.

According to the advice, you should use the SMPTE pattern that has a 90%/100% transition box to set the contrast - such that the inner 90% box is distinct from the surrounding 100% box.

Unfortunately, many displays 'clip' the white level far too high. So whilst you have a distinct transition, your display is still way too bright.

You really need a light meter to get the 'correct' setting for white (contrast), but they are expensive. Without that, you could use the 100% flat test screen (evaluation section), and turn down the contrast to the LOWEST point that you are still comfortable with it being white. You may need to do this over a period of time if you are used to an excessively bright image.

Hornydragon could you tell what are the better patterns and where can i get them? Or are these test patterns for professional use only? I have used the DVE for my plasma and it did help a lot for improving picture quality, but one can always do more for the sake of entertainment :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom