1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dve on pw6 panasonic

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GCDB, Sep 20, 2005.

1. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I had my first attempt at using the dve disc on my panasonic pw6 last night.My system is the dvd player pioneer 575 through yam amp 750 and to the pw6 for info.
    I dont know if i am doing it wrong but i failed at the first hurdle!
    The first calibration was the brightness setting but i cant seem to get the black bars(vertical) even on the screen at full brightness on the panel.I thought it might be the dvd player as this has brightness settings as well so i turned the setting on the dvd player right up and still no black bar against grey on the panel.Before i altered any brightness setting the panel did not even show any of the vertical bars at all.
    I have not been running the screen in at high levels(used contrast -15,bright -5 etc as suggested in these forums) so i think i havnt damaged it or am i getting it all wrong?
    Is there anyone else experianced this but i have heard the disc is hard to use.
    Gav

2. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you see only 2 bars instead of 3 ? You don't see the first one, do you ?

If you don't see the first, that is normal with Pioneer 575, because the first bar is a BTB (Blacker Then Black) signal, wich this player won't pass.

Work arounds - If you have another DVD player with the same kind of outputs that you are using with your pionner, try to calibrate "brightness" using that one. Then check how it looks with pionner 575. It should be ok. Try to adjust something if you feel it is not good. Check all test patterns and check if you see what is intended to see.

HTH

3. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for info,
    I only have a pc i could plug into the screen direct with vga but i dont think this would work would it?

4. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it wouldn't work.

Well, try this: you know that the backgorund of that pattern is BLACK. You now that the first bar is below black (but you don't see it), the 2nd bar is 2% above black and 3rd bar is 4% above black.

You should adjust the background color (using brightness) in order to see black - Keep adjusting until you see changes in the backgound. The moment you don't see any change then stop adjusting. You should have reach the black color on the background (if you could see the blacker than black bar this should be now equal to the background color). You should be able to see 2nd and 3rd bar and that should look like 2% and 4% above black.

Hope this makes sense to you.

HTH

5. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm
    I have to ramp up my brightness settings to even see the two black vertical bars and i dont want to really do this because it might reduce the life of my panel? Strange really because the picture seems relatively ok so it cant be leads problem and i bought decent quality leads.Read somewhere that someone had got a firmware for the 575 to achieve the black bar(far right of screen) to enable blacker than black.Is this possible and cant remember where read it!

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Setting brightness properly will not reduce life of your panel. Setting contrast too high might.

Use CINEMA or STANDARD/NORMAL modes

Adjust the brightness using the 20ire window on DVE. Stand against the screen and turn up brightness lots so the background becomes grey. Now start cliking it down. As it gets darker you'll see lots of flickering pixels in the background. As it gets darker they become more obvious and wider apart. Then, suddenly, with one click they will disappear and the background will be as black as it can be. Stop now. If you can't see the two black bars then you should change your DVD player. If you can it's likely the darkest one will be full of flickering pixels and the next one will be more solid. That's the job done.

Gordon

7. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for info,but not wanting to sound too thick,but which is the 20ire window? Is it the normal one in basic settings for adjusting the brightness?

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    it's a grey patch on a black background that sayS 20ire on it. TITLE12 around chapter 9-14 I think

Gordon

9. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok,my mission for tonight....
    The other thing is that the Dve disc does only really seem to calibrate basic settings but has a set of still images near the end which are not described to do anything with?
    The panel has advanced settings for colours?etc..s-curve etc...do i leave these with this dve disc or is it to calibrate the still images with but i suspect i leave these alone and it is your kind of field Gordon?

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Calibration is my kind of field yes. You can read about it in the ISF section of my website under SERVICES

Gordon

11. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Gordon,that worked by standing close to the screen and adjusting down until pixels stopped flickering.
    I actually altered my firmware on pioneer 575 last night(found in these threads) and now my player can actually display btb.I re did the test and black bar did appear and lowered this down until merged into background.Will compare settings with your way this weekend.
    The colour test couldn't get quite right though,as very hard to see screen through blue filter and best setting i could get was leaving the Turqoise?(sorry for spelling)blocks inbetween ideal test pattern slightly apparent no matter what i adjusted the colour or tint settings to.Found it easier to adjust colour through red filter as could see it better(probably going to get shot for that?)

12. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The red filter won't help you to set colour saturation. Go to Title 12, chapter 7 (split colour bars with grey etc). Without using a filter look at the bar on the far left and the bar on the far right. On the left its a long white bar with a short blue bar under it. On the right it is a long blue bar with a short white bar under it. Now look through the blue filter.

Adjust the colour saturation and see how the intensity of the short bar changes relative to the long bar above it. What you are trying to do is to get the short bar looking exactly the same as the long bar above it. It will probably be a case of compromise between getting the one on the right perfect or the one on the left perfect. Aim for both as near as possible. Job done, colour saturation properly set.

13. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm...
    Cant see anything on tv through this filter in the 12-7 split bars.Wondering if got wrong card?The filters i have got is JKP video essentials colour filters for decoder calibration.Says colour of gray on back.Illuminant D65.
    x=0.313 u'=0.198
    y=0.329 v'=0.468
    Ref for 5400k cct
    x=0.335 u'=0.208
    y=0.343 v'=0.479
    Colours of card to look at in normal light are red at top,then green,then very,very dark colour and cant make mind up if blue or black.
    Wife looked through card and cant see screen either.I also closed all curtains etc to get room as dark as possible.
    If i look through card outside through window,everthing seems slightly purple but nothing is visible inside house from looking through card.
    Had the card through blah blah which fits inside a normal dvd case.
    Any ideas?

14. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    This is weird! The card containing the filters is the right one and the bottom filter should be obviously blue not black. You should be able to see the colour bars when looking through it. I can only guess that you got a duff filter. If you PM me with your name and address I will send you a blue filter.

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  16. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Gordon,

As we both know there are two ways of doing it:

1. Turn off the red and green guns in the service menu. I would not be happy advising an end user to do this.

2. Buy a Lumagen scaler, put it into service mode, and when you go to the colour saturation control hey presto red and green are turned off. Nice feature.

17. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks Piers,
    We both thought we were colour blind. The blue filter i had was actually black so couldnt see a thing through that one.Calibrated the colour with the blue one as it describes in the dve and your way you described and looking through the other two filters the red one is also spot on but the green one is a mile off.i suppose this doesnt really matter though does it?
    Anyway happy with picture and thanks again.

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    It's quite possible that the green filter is not stpping enough of the blue and red components of light spectrum so you see innacurate pattern when it's possibly closer than you think....

Gordon

19. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you point me in the right direction for this?

20. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
  21. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

The genuine Pioneer Firmware V2.10 supports blacker than black.

Link

I have not used any of the hacked ones so can't comment.

Steve

23. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers again. Are you happy with your blacks now?

24. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok,think i'll give up trying any further as quite happy with settings and many thanks to Piers and Gordon and when wifey oversteps the mark with a £100+ pair of shoes i'll come knockin on your door for a pro calibration.
    Didnt know that 2.10 firmware does btb but flashed foncreator 5 which deffo does as could use dve disc from this and /or the pros methods.