DVE on PS3 for calibration...HDMI Colour Range Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nburcombe, Feb 11, 2009.

1. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My set up is a Panasonic TH46PZ80B (costco special), and a PS3 and a SKYHD box. The Sky and the PS3 go into a Thor HDMI switcher and the TV is basically left on HDMI1 for everything. I've not dragged out the DVE calibration disc as yet. When I do - probably soon - do I put the PS3 Display Setting for "HDMI Colour Range" on FULL or Limited to do the basic calibration?

If I set it up on FULL, will I end up with a poor calibration for SKY HD? :thumbsdow

Is the DVE blu-ray designed for 1.1 or 1.3 colour ranges? (I think that's the difference between the two settings anyway). PS3 and the TV have 1.3 but the sky box is 1.1 I believe.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :smashin:

Nick

2. alffjeld

alffjeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    if you check out ******** settings for pineer tv's in the plasma section, you will also find recommended settings for PS3

3. Pulse1

Pulse1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Fullrange is for Pc and Limited is for Video, So it should be on Video if everything is working as it should :rolleyes:

4. beat-breaker

beat-breaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Yep I'd agree with that, Limited is the correct setting, otherwise like you say when you calibrate for Full, Sky looks rubbish! And all DVD's, BRD's are all Limited as it's Video.

5. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cool - yeah tried on both settings with basic calibration - FULL is great for the games and bluray, but TV is miles off. Limited actually gives a better all round result. Still....can't help but feel Sky's HD box could do with x.v.Colour or 701 or HDMI 1.3a or whatever it is that uses the full colour range. The PS3 games and blu-ray looked glorious on the "full". Never mind.

6. beat-breaker

beat-breaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

The differences you see are due to the way you've set up, not a property of the BluRay because all film media are recorded as Limited, ie 16-235 range with some headroom either side. The Full settings takes those values and stretches them to 0-255, but you effectively do
    the same when you set your brightness (like setting the black level) and contrast (setting the white level). If you prefer the Full setting it means that your set-up for Limited is incorrect. Try reducing your brightness and increasing contrast - this will stretch out the picture and make it more and more like Full setting.

Good luck :)