DVE filter colour test. Opinions welcome.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by foghorn, Mar 28, 2006.

1. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I asked the following question in the Setting Black and white levels thread and Gary Lightfoot and Gordon suggested it may be a colour decoder error.

I have now done a bit more digging and I have noticed other people have experienced problems using the green filter. Gordon also suggested that using the filters was not the most accurate way of adjusting colour.

Could some of you who own DVE check their projector with the colour filters and post what they find.

I have an HS60, however I would be interested any make of projector.

Thanks

Foghorn

2. Drem

Drem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The DVE color calibration seems pretty useless IMO. Before my Optoma ThemeScene H79 was D65 Colorfacts Pro 6.0 calibrated, the green filter had som odd colored blocks. Guess what, it STILL does after the Colorfacts calibration. That says it all. DVE is great at setting contrast and brightness though :) It has some great ramps and patterns. What is also lacking is IRE levels in steps of ten up to 100 for grayscale calibration. However that is on the DVE Professional disc I think.

NOTE: The grayscale calibration was properly done by a skilled Colorfacts calibrator. He had another test disc with correct IRE levels: Peter Finzel Test Disc

3. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Drem that was the news I was hoping to hear. Anybody else like to chip in.

Foghorn

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    The only accurate filter is the blue one , green and red filters never have the purity that a blue filter does hence the seeming innacuracy . You should really only use the blue for setting saturation and hue and take the red and green with a pinch of salt.

The most accurate way to calibrate colour is to actually switch off the individual records on the display. The filters ( apart from blue) are of little value for calibration.

Setting the colour temperature correctly does not correct colour decoder errors either although the right sort of signal won't suffer from this anyway (RGB , dvi/hdmi).

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Unless you are able to build a software lut and load it into the display you don't really need those patterns for adjusting colour temperature or even gamma , although the other steps can be useful in modelling it you might well not be able to adjust the curve beyond the two points represented by the cuts and gains anyway. ( the lows and highs)