DVE Calibration

richjthorpe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This isn't really to do with LCDs but since I am doing the calibration on and LCD, thought it would be the best place to start !

I understand that the DVE disc is a DVD and you calibrate your DVD player via SCART/Component/DVI for a good picture on that input.

But what if you want to calibrate the input for the Freeview box say ? Do you connect the DVD player to the input used for the freeview and do the calibration again ? Would you use the same settings as the input for the DVD player ?

My problem is that what if there is a difference in equipment settings. For example, using the same settings for a SCART DVD player as for a SCART Freeview box, I would have thought the two pieces of equipment would send out differing signal intensities, eg reds may be stronger on the Freeview box. Which would mean you would need to get a copy of the DVE disc onto the freeview.

Or am I just complicating things ?!

Richie.

I, and I suspect a few others have no idea what you're talking about..

Jimmy

I understand the question :thumbsup: but I don't know the answer :(

I guess, that unless you can feed the DVD signal through the Freeview box, you're just gonna have to set it up for DVD and hope it looks ok on Freeview?

OK, will try to simplify things.

I'm going to hook up a DVD Player to RGB Scart input 1 and a freeview box to RGB input 2. The freeview box, as a characteristic, might send a brighter red and a less brighter green then the dvd player meaning the inputs' settings (Colour, Hue etc) would be different for the 2 boxes. But how would you do a DVE calibration through a freeview box ?

Suppose I'll just have to wait and play with the DVE disc when it arrives.

By the way, If I daisychained a DVD player through a Freeview box, would DVD signal go directly through the freeview box (SCART to SCART) or would the Freeview box do any video processing to the DVD signal ?

Richie.

Judders said:
I understand the question :thumbsup: but I don't know the answer :(

I guess, that unless you can feed the DVD signal through the Freeview box, you're just gonna have to set it up for DVD and hope it looks ok on Freeview?

Cheers Judders, I thought I was going completely mad and not able to communicate anymore !

I fear the alocohol intake over the weekend has taken an affect for the worse ! :eek:

Richie,
I set up my DVD on component ( Sharp 37GA4E ) with the DVE disk and then transfered the settings to the SKY RGB input. That was good enough and then I just tweaked it from there.

If all your inputs can be calibrated separately then you need to use the same settings for each input.

Set up DVE from your DVD player then copy the settings from the menu of the TV.

There is no need to separately recalibrate through each input.

Jimg, which DVD Player have you got ?

A rather old Sony 725 :zonked:

And the results ? I'm looking at getting a new DVD player but don't know whether to go for a decent Prog Scan or a Denon/Samsung/Panasonic that have the upscaling chips.

It is excellent, I had it connected via Scart on my old crt. I have been toying with the same idea and might try and find someone to let me trial the Denon.

Just been told on the DVD forum to take a the Samsung HD745. It's exactly the same as the HD945 apart from it has a DVI connection instead of HDMI. It has the DCDi Faroudja upscaling but on another chipset it seems.

Upshot is that you can get it for £100 !!!

Richie.

Richie

I would calibrate each type of input, then transfer the settings across to the inputs of the same type. Start with the ones that you would use least, so by the time you get to the main inputs, you will hoopefully have things pretty much sussed. Each input type will require different settings, but will be quite close, however not close enough not to be right. Interlaced and progressive also require their own calibration.

Before you start, make sure that you understand what settings do what, what ones are global and what ones are local to the input. Take a note of all the settings prior to starting. Watch the whole DVD first, understand what each demo sequence is showing and learn the title structure and how to navigate using the direct title selection. You will probably find yourself skipping between the test patterns and the basic calibration procedures. For setting the contrast on an LCD, the basic procedure does not work so you will need to use the advance and less well documented setting. Don't forget to document and save your settings!

And good luck!

jimsan said:
I, and I suspect a few others have no idea what you're talking about..

Jimmy
Sorry guys, you've left me absolutely out in the cold here.

Please help :lesson: what are you talking about?

I guess from reading these posts that there is a DVD (DVE) which you can run on your display to assist in the absolute calibration of all the RGB gains etc. Could someone please point me to some more info on all of this..

...just when I thought I was getting the hang of all of this!

I expect a few others will appreciate this info too.

Thanks,

Jimmy

DVD = Digital Video Essentials. But there others, Avia, Avia Pro plus one from an american sound and vision magazine. Each have their own way of doing things, different complexities and have their own followers. Some are better suited to some screen types more than others. I've got DVE, tried the american one, can't really recommend either. Would prefer to use Avia pro, but it doesn't support PAL and is not really cost effective unless you have the know how to do this thing on a regular basis. Of just bite the bullet and get the whole thing ISF calibrated.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the heads up, I've got a feeling I'll be posting more questions when I get the disc !

By the way, I've seen ISF being mentioned a couple of time around here, is it a company that comes out and calibrates your AV ?

Cheers,

Richie.

ISF = Imaging Sciences Folundation. Yes, I think it is a company, but basically an ISF calibrator is an intependant 'TV guy' that follows their way of doing things using hi tech test equipment and with the relevant training. There are a few people on these forums that can do that, normally they hang out on the plasma forum since LCD's are such lowly things. ISF calibration correctly sets greyscale, white & black level, color temperature, chroma level and phase plus a few other things.

How it differes from the likes of using DVE or Avia is that these guys really know what they are doing and have the technical equipment to analyse and calibrate the settings until they are perfect. DVE/Avia etc is a bit hit and miss and the average DVE/Avia user is an amateur of varying degree.

The upside is that a professionally ISF calibrated screen is 99% perfection (until the misses hits the wrong button on the remote) with DVE you may get 80% of the way there and by eye, up to 80%. The remaining 20% is the ability to accurately adjust things that us amateurs really doesn't have a clue about and are thankfully hidden in the engineers menu. The downside is a £250 ish shortfall in ones pocket.

Suppose to be the best £250 you can throw at a display. Im waiting until my configuration settles down and can affort it without feeling guilty. That is if I don't get the equipment myself and go on the training courses :thumbsup: Just waiting for sales to pick up at my local hifi shop and me to beable to justify the cost.

jimg said:
Richie,
I set up my DVD on component ( Sharp 37GA4E ) with the DVE disk and then transfered the settings to the SKY RGB input. That was good enough and then I just tweaked it from there.

Do you happen to have the settings you had straight after DVE and what you've ended up with now please?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom