1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVE Calibration on SKY input - Best Approach??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DNO, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DNO

DNO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I've recently swapped my Viera 37PE30 for a 42PV500 and like the majority of PV500 owners I'm very happy with the PQ (do have an annoying buzz but thats another story/thread). I had calibrated my old Viera using DVE and am just running in the PV500 before doing the calibration on it again using DVE.

Endless evenings staring at the new set and thinking through all the possibilites of SKY HD, HTPC etc etc and how much better it might look when calibrated lead me to realise that there may have been a flaw in my calibration methods for my previous Viera. Not wanting to repeat a possible mistake I thought I would ask the gurus. Here is my problem:-

I have SKY+ hooked up through a Scart on (AV1RGB), this actually passes through a Panny DVD Recorder (HDD model cannot remember specific one) so that I can dump stuff down from SKY+ that I want to keep.

I also have a Pioneer 575 DVD on component (AV4C).

To calibrate the AV1 input I played the DVE disk in the panny DVD recorder and made the appropriate adjustments. I then promptly turned off the DVD recorder and went back to watching SKY on AV1 very pleased that my TV was now displaying a well calibrated image.

It has now dawned on me (I think!!!) that the calibration for any given input is tied to the source that plays the DVE disk and the cables - essentially everything that is involved in getting the test patterns from DVD to display. The Panny DVD recorder has its own Contrast/Brightness and sharpnes settings as does the sky box, so by calibrating from one and watching the other have I miss calibrated? Surely the brightness/contrast and sharpness settings in the SKy or DVD box will have an effect on the calibration

If the answer to the above is yes, then what strategy do people use to best calibrate the input on which they will be watching a source other than the DVD player they use to play the DVE disk and what do they do about the picture settings in those devices??

PS.. I know that an ISF calibration would be the ultimate way to do this but I'm still in trouble with my wife for switching out an 8 month old 37" and couldn't justify why the new 2.5K TV suddenly needs £100's spent on it (i'll wait a few weeks before trying that one :) )

All advice greatfully recieved

DNO

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    For calibrating my Sky+ . I added a channel to "other channels" that was broadcasting Colour Bars . There is a regularly updated thread on the DigitalSpy forums that lists such channels . Then I used the colour management option on my plasma , and the filters supplied with DVE to set the colours as close as I could :smashin: . Contrast and brightness I had to set "manually" by eye .

I figured that Bars broadcast over the Satelite , decoded by the sky box and sent over scart , would probably give a more accurate result than DVD over scart .

Of course , its all subjective , and beauty is in the eye of the beholder

happy fiddling
    John