Dvdsoon the cheapest R1 source?

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly can't find anyone cheaper with a better service. Can anyone else for R1 discs?

Agreed and free postage now as well. Cabin Fever a tenner! Though recc'd CDWOW Hong Kong for Criterions etc. Very competive prices and also free delvery. DVD's turned up within 5 days.

DVD Pacific tend to have cheaper discs than on Soon but their shipping costs more, so at the end of the day DVD Soon works out cheaper for me. I always make a rule of checking both suppliers against eachother before ordering anything R1.

Plus, certain discs that on DVD Soon were classed as "Discontinuted Movie" I was able to get from Pacific :)
The Third Man Criterion & Mr Pink Reservoir Dogs S.E.

Rob

Ordered Matrix Revolutions for just over £10 from DVDsoon!

And they've got a sale on Disney dvds now - got Treasure Planet and A Bugs Life for just over £8 each

Originally posted by tullamore
Agreed and free postage now as well. Cabin Fever a tenner! Though recc'd CDWOW Hong Kong for Criterions etc. Very competive prices and also free delvery. DVD's turned up within 5 days.

I've gone a bit overboard ordering Criterions from CD-Wow at the moment, especially with the recent price reductions.

I've ordered most of the ones I've been lusting over for months, which is good news for me, but not so good for the old bank balance! :devil:

anyone get hit with customs charges for DVD Soon?

Thinking of ordering the Star wars triligy for £25 which seems like a bargin for 4 DVDs! Is it likely to get picked out by customs cause its a big package?

JD

Originally posted by ftpdoo
anyone get hit with customs charges for DVD Soon?

Thinking of ordering the Star wars triligy for £25 which seems like a bargin for 4 DVDs! Is it likely to get picked out by customs cause its a big package?

JD

Unfortunately it is likely to get caught :( as the actual value is declared on the outside of the package and almost everything over £18 gets a customs charge.

It's a value threshold that triggers the charge not the package size.

Over the last month or so I've found DVDPacific slightly cheaper than DVDSoon, even with free shipping introduced by the latter. That said, these have been mainly Criterions that CD-Wow dont stock.

Regarding Star Wars, delivery will be months ahead so it's difficult to predict exactly what the situation will be by then, but I doubt customs will be more lax. Therefore if you pre-order, you should expect it to get picked up.

I wonder tho - how many people here are still actually risking packages just over the threshold? There are a few non-boxset DVDs which will cost around the £19 mark and I'm in 2 minds whether to risk it.
Oh decisions....

I know what you mean. There're a few disks up and down that I fancy getting, but they are just over the threshold.

For example there're the new Criterion Scenes From A Marriage, but I'm put off ordering it in case I get hammered by cutoms and the PO.

As you say, decisions, decisions. :(

I just got Frasier Season 2 through the door, $43.98 Ca, the customs exchange rate would put this just over the limit but I didn't get any charge:clap:

Hope this helps you decide.

When did you order it?

CAD44 is actually just under £18 now with pound getting stronger - the forex rate is nearly 2.5 now. USD is also pushing 1.9 as well. A golden opportunity to purchase R1s but the spectre of customs hanging over it.

With fluctuating exchange rates I wonder how customs picks out whether CAD44 is under or over the limit since it will vary day to day? Perhaps they have a list of fixed amounts, eg CAD40 is the limit.

Think I'll risk getting the Criterion Spartacus if only to see what happens.
Mac_534 - I'll blame you if it goes pear shaped!!! ;)

Originally posted by Markmw
When did you order it?

Think I'll risk getting the Criterion Spartacus if only to see what happens.
Mac_534 - I'll blame you if it goes pear shaped!!! ;)

I ordered Frasier just over a week ago, I figured it was worth the risk. I hope Spartacus gets through ok, I've been thinking of going for it myself. Good luck and I hope you're not too mad at me if you get caught out:D

Is nowhere selling any region CDs within the rest of Europe where this would be seen as source and therefore exempt from customs tax.

my god. so cheap, befor i found this site i was paying like £50 for stargate boxsets at amazon US when you can get them from Amazon CA for £14. so i;v desided to get all the boxsets from CA and sell my old ones on ebay for £30 each. anyway, as for cheap sites, i used to think www.play.com was cheap so all of you have beten me at cheap prices. :(

Are there any banks which don't charge commission when you buy over the internet from DVDSoon or DVDPacific? Anybody know about Halifax Switch cards?

www.absound.ca seem to be the cheapest R1 seller to me, but I will check DVDsoon etc as well before ordering Lost In Translation. www.loaded247.com also seem very good value. I have not ordered anything from any of these retailers before, as I usually use dvdboxoffice, who's service is top notch, but their prices seem to have risen as of late? With the current exchange rate, we should not be paying more than £11 or so for the 'average' DVD title.

on the exchange rate issue does it matter if you pay in American dollers or Canadian ?
Dave.

Can confirm DVDPacific is marking actual values on the packaging (hand-written).

Finally received Spartacus after a worried wait and avoided charges. :smashin: The package must have been considered by Mount Pleasant - besides being delayed compared to other DVDPacific orders it was stamped, unlike many others I've received - but wasn't opened.

Guess they thought the marked value of $34 was close enough to the limit to let go. Phew.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom