1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvdsoon Customs Declerations

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by guysie, Jan 29, 2005.

1. guysie

guysie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently emailed HM customs regarding customs declerations on dvd,d this was there response.
    Thank you for your e mail of 16 January 2005.

Any UK import charges (duty and VAT) are based on the customs value. In the
    vast majority of cases this is the transaction value - the price paid by the
    buyer to the seller for the goods. So, if you enjoy a discount of any sort
    the customs value will be the discounted price and duty will be due on the
    discounted price.
    So why dont dvdsoon put on there customs dclerations the price you pay :confused:

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,375
    It would be a great idea to forward your email to DVDSoon customer service and see what their response to this would be. They have always claimed the price customs want is the price before discount but clearly this is not the case. Particularly interested in this myself as I had 3 arrive Friday costing me £23.52 :eek:

Would be very interested in any outcome you have.

Greg

3. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Guysie, if you have a look back at dvdsoons forums, there's a closed thread called 'Marking of Value'. There's a number of responses from dvdsoon in there. Not the answers you'll want to hear, but they state that their mangagement have decided that the price on the packaging will be the price before discounts, and, apparantly, they have verified it's not illegal to do it this way. :confused:

4. guysie

guysie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon,
    Yes i did take a look at those :) but i am only going on what the customs are saying, :) and i feel the same as many others including customs :confused: that the price paid should be the price displayed.
    I have emailed dvdsoon for a response, but you know how long it takes if at all to receive a reply.
    But there is another forum sponsored by them i have left a message for them there and let you know the outcome.
    Customs did in fact look on there website, and noticed the md letter to all of its customers, but we will wait and see. :)

Guy

5. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Guy

I wouldn't be surprised if the response you get (if you get one at all) is the standard MD response. From the number of complaints they must of had over this and the number of cancelled orders, you'd of thought they might have reconsidered. Maybe customs will force their hand as they did with the marking of parcels as gifts and putting very low prices on. I was considering a Fidelity icard, but I think I'll hold-fire until they they get the marking of the prices sorted out.

6. guysie

guysie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon,
    I also will not get an I card until they sort themselves out, I must surely get a reply one day :thumbsup: But as you suggest customs may make them sort themselves out.
    But as i have said before they are quite happy to take your money but not give you even a reasonable service.
    But i certainly will not be buying any more from them until they get there act together, its a shame there million plus sales last year suddenly stopped, then they would have to change there ways. :censored: But they do get a lot of forum advertising :thumbsdow

7. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I said (on the "Marking of value" infamous thread) that I would contact Finnish customs about this. True to my word, I did, and they replied earlier this week.

They said that the price marked should be the common price, available to all people. The member scheme is excluded in this instance and therefore the marked price should be that paid before member discount. So it sounds to me like DVD soon are within their rights to continue as they are currently doing.

I would post on the "other" forum, but their idiotic mods can quite frankly, shove their forum up their arses. Collectively, they seem like they are power crazed teenagers.