1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdsoon customer service

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by mkcheznous, Feb 3, 2005.

1. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anybody ever get a response to an email question to dvdsoon ?

I asked them for some details on the VF version of a title they stock and despite asking them twice - no response. It is particularly annoying as they
    provide very little detail on the specs of these titles and what they do provide is probably dodgy e.g. a recent title was listed as containing 3 disks in the French Version but 6 in the English one !

2. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Email them again and keep it polite and they will try to answer.

Be warned though VF (version française) can puke up some very dodgy transfers from Canadian-only distributors. I've had to send back a few discs with a lot of hassle.

You also have to remember DVDSoon is really a French speaking company so errors will happen.

3. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I did email them (politely !!!) again but they have not replied to the second email either. Will give them till tomorrow - then try again.

Not sure about your point about them being French speaking when it is exactly the French products that are so poorly described, so they are hardly catering to that market either - bit of a mistake for them because DVDs in France are really expensive.

4. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point is the VF is a guarantee to French-speaking people that the disc will -no matter what the description says or does not say- will be suitable for them. Just like a disc for sale in France. It's difficult for a supplier to get very detailed info and that's why it is marked clearly as VF.

DVDSoon used to have a warning when checking out about VF items but they removed it. They should put it back because most VF stuff I buy is terrible.

If it's VF MGM etc then it's fine. It's Christal films and similar you should avoid.

What's the DVD you're querying anyway?

5. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the reply.

I do not understand the distinction. A supplier should be able to provide the same amount of info to each of its client types and the info should be available either on the DVD or from their supplier. Why should French people not be provided with the same info as English (or English speaking) people.

The reason this arose is I noticed that Little House on the Prairie Season 2 (dont laugh) is significantly cheaper in the VF version but the site says there are only 3 disks when I know there should be 6 like the standard version unless they are double sided. I also would quite like both English and French Soundtracks (or at least subtitles) as my wife and kids are bi-lingual.

6. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not understand the distinction. A supplier should be able to provide the same amount of info to each of its client types and the info should be available either on the DVD or from their supplier.

Not true with most French-Canadian suppliers (disc distributors + stores). They have awful descriptions/specifications. That's not really the fault of DVDSoon but it does make them responsible for errors (not that they ever accept that but they do when I have to threaten them with my bank).

And it's worth comparing descriptions of DVDs to what we have in the UK. It's a :censored: joke. Never any detailed info and you're lucky if a review appears months after release. The only time you know what you get is when you put the disc in the player.

Why should French people not be provided with the same info as English (or English speaking) people.

I don't think they are 'French'. French-Canadian or French speaking.

DVDSoon.com is a great supplier and their CS can be a strain sometimes. But that's no different to any other online store and if anything I've always been very happy with DVDSoon.com.

I think what you're asking is a bit too much perhaps. If it were me I'd check other Canadian stores and maybe do a bit of homework. It sounds like you'll end up getting angry that DVDSoon won't reply after the 10th email or whatever.

Just don't buy VF.

7. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am sorry I cannot agree at all with any of this.

1. If a supplier provides a contact point then one should expect a response.
    I have still not had one. That does not make DVDSoon a great supplier.

2. There will be plenty of French people as well as French speakers or French Canadians who use the site. Just in the same way there is plenty of English as well as English Speaking Canadians who do so. It is Entirely DVDsoon's fault if they do not provide accurate descriptions.

3 It is also entirely DVDsoon's fault if I (and no doubt many others) now choose to buy elsewhere because they cannot be bothered to provide me with enough information to make a purchase decision.

As a point of balance I will say that I have done business with DVDsoon before
    and at least they pack the items they send you very well, so when you do eventually receive them they are not damaged.