1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDsoon.com - ironic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Marc, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    how long do dvdsoon.com generally take with their orders? I've had my first order pending for 10 days so far, and there's unlikely to ever be a second order if they all take so long.

2. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´ve got several orders pending for 40 days so far ...

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, they can occasionally be DVD Not-So-Soon. I've had Bubba Ho Tep on order for nearly 2 weeks now. In their defense, they are usually pretty good with pre-orders.

4. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the price you cant really complain. How long did it say on the item before you ordered it?

My orders from them take typically around 7-10 days to be shipped.

5. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've had bubba ho-tep on order since the 22 June :( Everything else has been sent quickly - its just this one film thats taking its time.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one DVD set that was on order for 3 months.

Although in their defense, they are rock-solid for instock items. It's just that they have unreliable or slow suppliers. But, like chris110 said, the competitive prices make it worth the risk.

7. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've generally had good experiences with DVDSoon. I think that if they have your item in stock, then you're OK. Similar for pre-orders - I bought the Indie boxset and various others as pre-orders, and they came all slightly ahead of the expected release date. If an item is not in stock however (and I think this probably applies to most of these companies), then you could wait a long time. I believe (IIRC) that you can always cancel until an item goes to packing and purchase elsewhere......

8. tigerstyles

tigerstyles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvdsoon myarse!

Buba do Hep.. 5 weeks? whats that all about? also i had to wait for a title i pre ordered for 3 and a half months before i eventuly asked for a refund.

Bizarre

9. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally how long do DVD soon items take once they have been posted using the free postage option?

I made my first DVD soon purchase the other day and was in the post the following day! Although they did say it was in stock. So I have made a few more purchases and one of those which was supposed to be in stock is still pending.

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If it's in stock, and sent immediately, it can be with you within 3-4 days.

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i wouldn't mind so much, but they billed me the day i placed the order. I only ordered one DVD as a test of their service, Highlander Immortal Edition for £6.72, and so far i'm not impressed.

12. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've had The Rocky Gift Set on order since 1st July.

When I placed the order it was saying "shipped 3-5 days".

I don't mind waiting, but how long is long enough? I am also a new customer to DVDsoon, but for how long I've not decided yet. After all, for the sake of saving a couple of quid. I don't think it justifies waiting all this time.

I think DVDsoon should give their suppliers a piece of there mind because it's DVDsoon that get the kick back.

13. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Update to my earlier post in this thread.

I'm Still waiting. :thumbsdow :suicide:

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Me too, for Bubba Ho Tep, ordered 16th July. To be honest, I think I'll cancel it on principal, to show them that I'm not prepared to wait for them indefinitely. I'll also post why I'm cancelling on their forums, so it's more noticable.

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you can't beat play.com and playusa.com for good prices and prompt delivery.
    Amazon.com also has good independent suppliers selling R1 from the USA

16. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry mate, but you can definitely beat PlayUSA for R1 prices, usually by an average of around £3. This soon mounts up, when you order two or three DVDs a week. Up to now, I haven't been able to fault DVD Soon, but a month for a relatively new release is taking the whatsit a bit. I have now ordered from DVD Import, still £2 cheaper than PlayUSA. :)

17. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've had an order pending with them for nearly two weeks now even though the website says the item is in stock. Can't see me using them again.

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    They are brilliant for pre-orders, and usually ship at least a week in advance of the release date. It's back orders they seem to have a problem with.

19. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Futurama season 4* & Harsh Realm just shipped from 'Soon.

I'll let you know when they arrive.

(* I don't buy American series on R2 disc, so no smart ass comments about "It's already out on R2"; just f-off and die :))

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Even when the R2 of "Harsh Realm" comes in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen and the R1 is in 4:3?

21. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I placed my first ever order's on the 10th and 11th of this month and all 3 dvd's arrived through the letter box on the 16th. :clap:

edited for bad spelling

22. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just had it confirmed that my copy of spaceballs has been sent out, 3 months after it was ordered. Im not to upset tho it cost me £3.20 and i did order it knowing it was out of stock, i do feel that their 3-4 days out of stock thing ought to be changed to just "out of stock" as ive yet to hear of anything out of stock being ordered in 3-4 days.

23. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65

i'm still waiting for my Higlander too. been ordered for about 4 weeks now. however i'have ordered DVDs before and after this and have all come reasonably quickly (7-10) days. :thumbsup:

i think its worth the risk for the great proces. i still have about 15 DVDs waiting to be watched on my shelf, so am in no hurry ! :smoke:

rob

24. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    well after all your insults I thought I would give em a try
    dvdsoon, Total recall Limited Edition in a tin case $13cdn= £6
    nice price, hope it arrives this year!

25. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had one on order since Jul 22, it arrived this morning so hopefully that means they got restocked for yours too. :)

26. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well, Harsh Realm was delivered today, 4 days after shipping. No complaints here, as usual DVD Soon's service is A1.

The R1 copy (from Canada at least) is certainly 16:9 anamorphic, although marked up as 4:3 full frame. It cost me just CAN$36, about £14.50p.

27. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Ah! Interesting - especially as it is less than half the price of the UK edition. That's another purchase for me from DVD Soon then!

Can you tell me Confucious, is it erroneously marked as 4:3 on the packaging as well, or is it just an error on the website?

Glad I found this out as this is one I'm after and was avoiding the R1 because of the supposed 4:3 ratio. Notice that the other Chris Carter series "Millennium" that I am also interested in is widescreen on R2 but listed as 4:3 on the R1 websites - hope the same error has been made as this is miles cheaper than the R2 edition.

Anyone got the R1 "Millennium" set yet who can confirm the aspect ratio?

No complaints here regarding DVD Soon - everything I've ordered in the past few weeks has arrived within 5-7 days including "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which arrived this morning, for the princely sum of just over a fiver including delvery! Ordered the 16th, shipped on the 19th, arrived the 23rd. :thumbsup:

I've had the odd long delay for an out of stock back catalogue item, but at their prices it is well worth the wait. As I said before, it is very likely that to offer the discounts they do they have to order large quantities from each distributor in order to get a good price deal. So, sometimes you probably just have to wait, as your title is included in an order where they are still building up to the required minimum before ordering from the distributor.

Again this is highly likely as the delays only seem to affect back catalogue titles and/or items from small labels.

As regards the MGM/UA promotion I've had loads of these titles from them, and all but one arrived within a few days. Waited a long time for it to come, but at £3-ish including delivery, it's hard to kvetch.

Notice someone was complaining about DVD Soon's "affadavit" returns policy. Let me tell you my experience of that. I ordered the Universal "Monster Legacy" gift set from them, the one with 14 movies and the three stone busts. One of the discs was loose inside the packaging and was damaged. I filled in and e-mailed the affadavit and a replacement was sent immediately. Not only that, but they told me to hang on to the original set - no need to return it! Again, no complaints there!

If anyone is wavering over ordering from this company for the first time, rest assured they are a reputable and reliable supplier. I have been dealing with them for two years or so and have bought hundreds of discs from them with no trouble and will continue to do so.

28. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I'm sure that this has been posted somewhere before, but there is a Q&A section run by DVD Soon staff on the DVD Swaps website, where you will get prompt answers to all of your queries about them, the titles they stock and even individual orders.

Click here to see...

29. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The R1 copy of Harsh Realm I have is certainly marked up on the packaging as 4:3 full frame.

Millennium, on the other hand, is marked up as 4:3 - and is presented in that (I believe correct) aspect ratio. I'm not sure whether the 2nd and 3rd series went 16:9 (which would have been near-enough coincident with The X-Files doing so from Season 5)

30. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Latest Update

I contacted DVDsoon yesterday and was told that they are expecting a delivery in today or tomorrow (Thurs) and that my boxset should be included.

I have just checked my order and it now says "Monatorium" what the fudge?

I think I am gonna have to cancel this order becaause I'm getting angry, and they won't like me when I'm angry. :mad: