1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdsoon - any good?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by hutchingsp, Jan 1, 2003.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Google and this forum seems to turn up mixed opinions, nothing very recent - the complaints seem to be that they don't answer email too quick, and the time they make you wait before declaring an order lost if something doesn't arrive.

I used to use A&B Sound for R1, but they seem to have sod-all in stock if their website is to be believed.

DV-Depot seem a trifle expensive..

Any opinions on dvdsoon, or any other Canadian retailers worth a pop? It seems the $CAD is good value right now...

regards
    Paul

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I've had no cause to contact DVDSoon via e-mail since I've started purchasing discs from them, so I couldn't comment on their reply policy. I did however leave a message on their answerphone - to which I received a very swift reply.

Delivery generally takes a week. (I've seen 3 days, I've seen 15 days.)

One pays at the time of ordering.

They send discs early if they get stock in early (new releases).

Packages are marked in such a way as to avoid any unnecessary involvement from HMC&E.

I would advise you to pre-order early, I've seen many a price rise in the weeks leading up to the release date of some discs. (If it goes down one can always cancel & re-order.)

3. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - sounds in line with what I've heard.

Do they ship individually, or if you order six DVDs do you get a single package of six DVDs?

Paul

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    they used to ship all in the one package but have now changed this, the best way to order is to spend over $100 this entitles you to free shipping and then you choose partial shipping option which costs $1.60 per disc they then ship when each disc comes into stock

i ordered signs, fear dot com ,one hour photo and road to peridiction all for $104 (£44) including the partial shipping charges and signs has shipped last week :D

as stated order early, i got my big fat greek wedding a month ago for £8 including shipping:D

5. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just placed my order.

It's been a long time (> 1 year) since I've brought any R1 DVDs, still can't believe how damn cheap they are from Canada - I've just purchased:

BTTF Trilogy
    Minority Report
    XXX
    Sum of All Fears

And it came to a touch over £50 shipped?!?

That said, the acid test will be if and when they're despatched and shipped - I guess I need to keep my Captain Sensible head on and remember a lot of places don't re-open from the Xmas break until tomorrow so there may well be a backlog...

regards
    Paul

6. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cancelled my order. Mysteriously all the "in stock" items that I ordered are now showing as on order, eta unknown.

Back to A&B Sound for me - cheap enough and hopefully still deathly reliable.

regards
    Paul

7. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvdsoon are a waste of space.

17 emails i sent them about a refund and i didn't get one reply. Ended up getting my credit card company on to them after 6 months trying.

Avoid

8. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely. Fingers crossed on the refund eh?

Fortunately (if that's quite the word to use) it's "only" £50 so if it doesn't appear in the next 2 days it's not the end of the world - but I will be sure to keep an eye on my bank balance for the credit to appear.

I get the impression, and it's a cliche, that they may be a "victim of their own success"?

Paul

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've sent them my first email about a refund. lets hope yours was a one off

10. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a few DVDs off them, and so far, they've been pretty good, although admittedly, i've never needed to contact them for anything.

Regards