1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdsilvers... the bubble has bust!!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by coolgools, Apr 22, 2001.

1. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anybody has ordered dvds from that above company and not received their order then don't keep your hopes high. THEY HAVE GONE BUST or so it seems as I cannot trace them nor my cheque for £19.50 cashed about three weeks ago. Anybody else had similar experience?
    coolgools

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I sent them an email and so far haven't had a reply, but we can't talk about this as it's not kosher :(

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are they sending disks out and honouring orders. I sent off for star wars 1 & 4, 2 weeks ago, and have not heard anything. Has anyone else got any info!!!!!! I was going to order star wars 5 & 6 today but I'll hang fire until these arrive!!!!! :eek:

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big Brother is watching!!!!!

You cannot talk about this subject on this BB.

5. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They have in indeed shut down. Weekend before last if I'm not mistaken.

Not saying any more than that. :)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello ptmbradley,
    as we can't really talk about it here could you e-mail my personal address with the gory details, if any as I'm desparate to know whether |I'll get my DVD'S!!!
    (jason.biggs@btcellnet.net)
    Cheers

Jason

7. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course it's OK to talk about it. There is a World of difference between discussing piracy or the such and promoting it. I believe that is fair? Very sorry if anyone has lost out.

This site got heavily ramped by Ace and perhaps he will apologise to anyone who gets ripped off - if that is indeed the case - they may genuinely have gone bust, then again....

What was it with all that 'don't forget to mention my name' stuff? Get a few freebies did we.

Pah. :mad:

8. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you all seem a little timid about this topic as i'm sure being sold discs that you 'thought were genuine' is not very illegal. Selling them is.

I've never really cared about the topic of dvd silvers as i don't intend to buy any but BB has become a problem on the BB. I can understand torrents of abuse being deleted, but i don't know what the problem is with talking about things like this. I believe there is a review of the aforementiond DVD on this very site. OOPS, i see a little bit of contradiction here.

I would have thought HCC would 'accept no responsibility for the content ofposts on this bulletin board'

9. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :rolleyes:

That wasn't for DVD Silvers, it was for the other one based in Malaysia where I got my SW collection from.

Jason,

I've only heard some rumours, not facts. There have been rumours of a possible link between DVD Silvers and a new etailer which launches shortly. I've heard 1 rumour saying the proprietors of Silvers shut it down because of this new company, and another that they received a visit from Trading Standards.

Now you all know as much as I do and that really is the last I'm saying on the subject here because I don't want to fuel the rumours any further. :)

Ptm

10. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just one more post then. :)

In defence of DVD Silvers, until this recent sad turn of events I've only ever heard good things about them.

I've never ordered from them personally, but I've never heard of people not receiving goods and indeed I've only ever seen their customer service being praised.

Which makes me think that Trading Standards have knocked on the door and therefore you will probably not have your orders fulfilled...

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    Couple of points folks, the rules state any discussion which promotes illegal activity is not allowed. This is common sense.
    Though perhaps seen as a lesser offense, giving out the url of an illegal site like DVD silvers is like giving out the phone number of a preferred drugs dealer or favourite prostitute.
    Second point - (and I don't want you to read support of illegal sites into this, but) anyone considered that it was the very discussion about DVD silvers here which may have brought it to the attention of FACT and caused the subsequent closure?
    Probably not what happened, but just a thought.

12. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    First off let me say that PIRACY IS ILLEGAL ADN BAD COZ THEY USE THE PROCEEDS TO FUND DRUGS AND PROSTITUTION.

I got my discs from the ages ago :D.

I tend to think that DVDSilvers have had to relocate their business premises rather than gone belly-up or something like that. They always did use a temp address and are probably setting up a new postal address for Mrs Smith as we speak.

13. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no its not, its giving out the address of a supplier of films that are unavailable on DVD at present. Perhaps you associate home entertainment with drugs and prostitution, but i'm sure most people just want to get star wars on dvd. And assuming they have a VHS copy of the trilogy are perfectly within their rights to order a 'backup copy' on dvd.

ohh and the luscious lucy can be contacted on 077134765123 and dave the dodgy drug dealer on 07712394812, just incase you require them.

14. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    LOL Brevis. :D

15. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Oh and Lucy was engaged. Couldn't get through.

Will try again later tonite. :D

16. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the bad point to the above is.....?

I think you miss the point about Piracy, Piracy is bad becuase it robs the rightful copyright holders, it is THEFT, nothing more , nothing less. It gives the studio's less money to develop new films and fund new directors. both of which can not be described as good. Piracy is not bad becuase of its links with criminal activity. they are going to be there as long as Humans are. Having said all that i would like to add i'm just stating the facts and not lecturing or being high and mighty becuase i have a bigger collection of mp3 tunes than anyone else i know and it would be kind of hypocritical do so.

there you go, thats my rant done!

All IMHO

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is why talking about subjects like DVD silvers is important!!!!

It could have saved people getting ripped off soon rather than later!!!!!

18. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchasing a DVD silver that is not available on regular DVD is technically illegal but is it morrally wrong? after all what alternative is there? if phantom menace was available on "proper" DVD then thats the one i would have baught but its not so i couldnt so i didnt. dont even try to mention the vhs version as an alternative, once you've heard TPM in DD PL just dont cut it no more.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with the above!!!

Why have people like Spielberg and Lucas held up the release of DVD's whilst still bringing out countless VHS boxsets???

Why was CTHD suddenly withdrawn in Hong Kong and brought out again with no english content?

Answer is Simple........

TO MAKE MONEY!!!!!

I do agree everyone has the right to make a living from what they create BUT! steps like these are pushing the limits and are screwing with the true fans of the movies who are not being rewarded for their devotion to the films (buying all material available regardless of format). Can anyone guarantee me that there will be no more VHS re-issues before we see an official DVD version of any Star Wars film? Also why do asia get VCD versions and we only get VHS?

In my opinion this whole situation SUCKS!!! Let's talk about another example:- "A person purchases a VCD of Bridget Jones Diary. (not me!!!)

This is obviously a pirate disc. Who does this damage?

Lets consider the type of person that whould purchase the above disc. The main place where people buy these is from the web. As mentioned previously in this thread people do use BB's like this one to resource information on finding these sites selling these goods.

When that person has received the disc they watch the movie that normally consists of a VERY sub-standard picture and sound, Large foreign sub titles, timecoding and the obligatory various number of people who decide to stand up in front of the camera!!!
    Not the best quality disc, you agree?

If that person can put themselves through watching the disc and managed enjoy the film, what would they do next? Most people would either go and see it in the cinema or purchase it later on DVD? If did not like the film they will do nothing more...

WHO HAS LOST OUT?

If the person liked the movie no one has lost out.....

If they did not, then yes the the film company has lost an official sale BUT as a consumer what would you rather do? waste 4 Pounds or 20 Pounds?

The consumer most of the time is getting screwed. We as customers should have more say and until this is addressed this process will continue.

IS IT NOT SAD WHEN IT'S SIMPLER TO BUY DRUGS THAN A COPY OF STAR WARS????????

[ 24-04-2001: Message edited by: Mr Bond ]

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my ha'penworth...

but as stated before the BB 'rules' are quite clear on this subject :)

As indeed is the law.

Caveat Emptor

[ 24-04-2001: Message edited by: Confucius on Holiday ]

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rules is Rules!!!!!!

BUT.

Are the rules always right?

I'm not saying BUY PIRATES by the way!!!!!!

All I'm questioning are the marketing methods of film studios. In my opinion they are guilty of forcing people to do this?

If Star Wars was out on official DVD how many people would buy a pirate to save some cash????????

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have two VHS boxsets of star wars and would gladly buy it again on DVD when released, so Lucas won't lose any money and I think the same is true of everyone who has posted here. So with these companies you could say what harm is it doing as the movies companies won't lose out. I am miffed that I will probably lose out on these movies as all I had heard about this company was good and I chose them over some of the other ones as they were based in the UK. Cheers for the help guys!!!! By the way has anyone got a copy of the said two movies that they want to swap, I've got a list of 175 DVD's that you can chose from, E-mail me for a list!!!!! :cool:

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <STRONG>Rules is Rules

and Are rules always right?
    </STRONG>

Well, I'm no fan of rules myself, however with those rules in place one caould hardly moan if the thread mysteriously vanished! I mean I'm no fan of speed limits, but I break the limit knowing that I will have to pay the penalty if caught.

As for 'talking about vs. 'promoting' piracy, I'm sure teams of lawyers could argue for ages over the letter of the law, but there is such a thing as the spirit of the law too....

24. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    My Stawars DVDs MUST be legal, customs made me pay duty on them! :)

Jeff

25. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh yes, she has become incredibly fortunate since i started advertising her illegal activities on bulletin boards

as for dave, two weeks after i first mentioned him, his business appeared in the FTSE 100 index, he has since expanded his business ito europe and the far east.

:D

26. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    When George Lucas releases the Star Wars trilogy and TPM on DVD I will be the first in the queue to buy them.

Until then I will have to keep my several legit VHS versions and watch the DVDSilver I got.

GEORGE, I KNOW YOU READ THIS FORUM SO DO THE RIGHT THING WILL YA!

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My tummy hurts

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also......

As the rules state:-

Members must not:- "Post promotional information about any illegal activities (including Pirate Films, VCDs & DVDs)"

Is talking about something promoting it? Is this thread making people buy pirates?

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VERY FUNNY!!!!!

Maybe pirates should import all their goods via a suitcase and then declare them at customs and pay the duty, therefore as you said making them legal copies?

:)

30. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To set the record straight i am againsed the purchasing of currently available pirated software. after all if everyone did then there would be no software to pirate, but i as one of the people who loved the phantom menace I could not pass up tyhe oppurtunaty to own a better quality than vhs version with DD sound. when the DVD does become legally available i GURANTEE that i will purchase it, after all i'm one of those guys who owns both of the full on releases of the star wars box sets on laserdisc, yet when the DVD's are available i will buy them again. why? because i must have the best quality currently available. for phantom menace this means a DVD silver. and anyone who owns it will tell you the quality is only reasonable. so soon (i hope) it will be full on anamorphic dvd with DD and DTS sound with a ton of extras. untill then i'll be enjoying my DVD silver.
    ps. Lucas already has plenty of my cash. those box sets werent cheap you know.