1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDshrink Backup... what to do?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Triplicate, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Triplicate

Triplicate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my dilemma. :confused:

I want to backup my DVD's.

I want the best video and sound quality. :thumbsup:

I don't like all that extra stuff, :thumbsdow I just want to main material so I choose re-author.

I want to be able to *loan* my backup to family so I want my backup to play on various DVD players of various quality.

Here is where I have some questions....

I'd like to take just one sound track to preserve space for the video and reduce video compression, thus help the image quality.

I sometimes see AC3 and DTS as choices. I want to choose just one. I like DTS and I'm willing to take up the extra space it needs.

My understanding is that not all DVD players support DTS. Is this correct?

Can DTS be used/substitued for DD 5.1 if some player does not have DTS compatibility? In other words will DTS alway be used by all players if it's the only sound track available on the disc?

Should I always choose DD and not DTS?

Should I always include both? I'd rather not so as to leave more room for Video.

Comments? Thoughts? Questions?

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    DTS will only work if the dvd player or av receiver have a dts decoder. dolby digital 5.1 will work on anything as it can downmix to mono, stereo or prologic.

3. Triplicate

Triplicate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as a confirmation check... did you mean *both* the player and reciever have to be DTS compatible to get true DTS output?

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,944
    Yes you will need both, without the reciever you wont get any sound when using DTS so I would ditch the DTS track and keep the 5.1 track, that is what I do.

I also dont bother with re-authoring, I just set the extra features to either min quality or still images and remove all audio tracks apart from English 5.1, doing this means you get to keep the menus :thumbsup:

5. Triplicate

Triplicate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys. Interesting approach to backups. I have to try those options to see how they play back. Thanks again.! :hiya: