DVDS97EBS - Can it be made multi region?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stampax, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have seen the panasonic model mentioned above for a decent price, but its only region 2 - anyone know if it can be hacked?

2. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    S97 is a very good DVD player. However you can't make it codefree unless you use a special chipped remote controller. If you search a bit, you can find more info in this forum. My suggestion is to forget about doing it yourself and try to look for a shop that has a codefree version of it.

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Richer Sounds are selling them multi-region for £160 at the moment. And I've just updated the firmware without mucking up the multi-region hack, so I'm quite pleased. :)

One thing I'm not pleased is the rigid formatting the player dictates over HDMI. What I mean is if I put in a 4:3 DVD then that's what you get. It forces the TV to 4:3 and if you try switching to a non-linear stretch mode (Superlive on my new Tosh) then all you get it a curt "Operation forbidden". You can muck about with the 4:3 switching settings on the player, but all it allows it full wide, zoom, or 4:3, no Superlive. Guess that means I'll be swapping over to component, 'cos I sure as hell ain't gonna be dictated to by a bloody DVD player how a can or can't watch my TV!

Regards

Mark