DVD's to Xbox 360? List your APPS

jaspain

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to go over old news dudes but I am trying to convert my dvd collection to play on my 360.

I have used the following apps but they always seem out of sync or take an age to convert?

- Winavi
- DVD Fab
- Videora XBox Converter
- Convert HQ

Anyone else use anything better?

Many Thanks

Jas

Sorry to go over old news dudes but I am trying to convert my dvd collection to play on my 360.

I have used the following apps but they always seem out of sync or take an age to convert?

- Winavi
- DVD Fab
- Videora XBox Converter
- Convert HQ

Anyone else use anything better?

Many Thanks

Jas

AutoGk as it will convert your DVD's to Divx/XviD and is really easy to use.

AutoGk as it will convert your DVD's to Divx/XviD and is really easy to use.
I've just started doing it myself using AutoGk and can backup Indy's claim. Pretty much one click and your off. It's not a quick process though. I'm converting them into roughly 2gb files though.

Seems to take between 3-5 hours depending on the quality. I've just bought a new 500gb hard drive and have been happily copying my DVD collection to it. Could take some time... but it's nice that you can set the artwork to come up on the Xbox 360 (by naming the .jpg file the same as the .avi file in case you didn't know). I'm easily pleased...

Also with AutoGk you can select for it to shut down your computer once it's done. That's what I've been doing, set it off first thing in the morning before I head off to work.

I've just started doing it myself using AutoGk and can backup Indy's claim. Pretty much one click and your off. It's not a quick process though. I'm converting them into roughly 2gb files though.

Seems to take between 3-5 hours depending on the quality. I've just bought a new 500gb hard drive and have been happily copying my DVD collection to it. Could take some time... but it's nice that you can set the artwork to come up on the Xbox 360 (by naming the .jpg file the same as the .avi file in case you didn't know). I'm easily pleased...

Also with AutoGk you can select for it to shut down your computer once it's done. That's what I've been doing, set it off first thing in the morning before I head off to work.

I have tried this method, but it's disappointing that the video quality produced is nowhere near DVD and certainly nowhere near my Denon upscaler.

I would like to rip all my DVD's and stream them in high quality, but I'm struggling to find a tool that will do this and I've tried many of them.

I have tried this method, but it's disappointing that the video quality produced is nowhere near DVD and certainly nowhere near my Denon upscaler.

I would like to rip all my DVD's and stream them in high quality, but I'm struggling to find a tool that will do this and I've tried many of them.

Im having the exact same problem as above.
Any help appreciated.

I suggest you stop what you are doing imediately and test one of your files. The 360 does not like any xvid/divx files any bigger than about 1.82GB (or there abouts). It will try to play them but will stutter every few minutes. Keep the files size to 1800MB and you should be ok.

Then you are doing something wrong. Choose XVID as the codec and output size to 1800MB two pass encoding and in advanced setting choose original AC3 audio (if you have a surround sound system). The quality doing this should be very close to DVD quality.
If you dont want the 5.1 audio choose MP3 128mpbs and a file size of 2 CD's (1400MB) and you will get very good picture quality.
The key is not to choose file size based on quality percentage as this will only do a single pass encode.

Seems to take between 3-5 hours depending on the quality......

Are you using an old computer or perhaps a laptop? I use a core 2 duo 2.66mhz and 2GB RAM and the average movie takes me about 1hr 45min to encode.

I suggest you stop what you are doing imediately and test one of your files. The 360 does not like any xvid/divx files any bigger than about 1.82GB (or there abouts). It will try to play them but will stutter every few minutes. Keep the files size to 1800MB and you should be ok.
:eek:

Ahh... I will do, I only quickly checked to make sure it was working to be honest.

I've only done a couple so not too much time lost if they're knackered.

I'm away for the weekend but I'll check on Monday to see if they play smoothly.

Thanks for the heads up though! :thumbsup:
Are you using an old computer or perhaps a laptop? I use a core 2 duo 2.66mhz and 2GB RAM and the average movie takes me about 1hr 45min to encode.
It's just over 4 years old, so not the newest to be honest. I've been looking at getting a new one, I was thinking of an iMac (the glossy'ness draws me in.... I'm weak) but I can't afford anything at the moment so its not really worth me thinking about it.

I was doing the double pass so I'm guessing that takes a little longer, but it's defo not a quick thing to do. Set it off and leave it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom