1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's to compare DD v DTS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by nathan_silly, Mar 27, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've currently got a Lex DC-2 on loan, and I have a DVD player with DTS digital output.

I'm not asking "what is better" I'll try some tomorrow.

However what I'm asking - what DVD's with both DD & DTS on the same disc have good audio mixes (ie, not one messed up) so I can compare both formats. I know DTS is louder- probably why people think it's better- so I will set equal volume.

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try Behind Enemy Lines. :smashin:

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Stargate the ultimate edition then tell me dts is "just louder" theres a richness which the Dolby track doesnt reach despite it being a very very good dolby mix too.

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    Band of Brothers (R1)
    Blade 2
    Brotherhood of the Wolf (R1 Canada)
    Cast Away
    E.T. 20th Anniv.
    Gladiator
    Lord of the Rings:FOTR EE
    Minority Report
    The Rock Criterion (although I recall someone saying one of the soundtracks is mastered incorrectly, to be honest I've never bothered to do an A/B comparison)
    Se7en (2nd version)
    T2: Ultimate edition (but not the upcoming "even more ultimate-er" release)
    Unbreakable
    X-Men 1.5

All these have DD and DTS and are pretty good soundtracks. Plus all the Superbits have DD/DTS so something like Fifth Element or Desperado should fit the bill.

Personally I can't say any of my dvds with DTS soundtracks are noticeably better than DD, with the exception of maybe (key word is maybe) Gladiator and FOTR.

But I can honestly say that the full rate DTS clips from the DTS sampler discs do indeed sound better than DD. My ears can detect a certain amount of compression on half rate DTS and 448k DD compared to uncompressed PCM audio and full rate DTS definitely does sound alot closer to uncompressed audio. But this is a fairly moot point as almost all dvd studios have settled on half rate DTS instead of full.

I'd be interested to hear a film soundtrack in DTS 96/24 (if such a thing were ever to materialise - probably not as films are still usually mixed and mastered at 20bit) as I would imagine that should indeed sound noticeably better than DD.

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exactly what I was going to suggest, the minefield run is in a different class on the DTS track, and its not just louder no.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for that. I've got Bram Stoker's Dracula Superbit, LOTR 4 disc, Seven SE, T2 Ultimate.

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want discs to compare the two formats, then try the Region 1 versions of the Lethal Weapon trilogy, Twister or Interview with the Vampire. These titles are as close as you will get to a level comparison.

Both DTS and Dolby Digital tracks on these discs are sourced from the same 20-bit masters, the Dolby tracks have neutral dialogue normalization so there are no volume differences, and both are at their maximum respective bit-rates (1509kbps DTS and 448kbps).

Adam

8. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Personally I think Saving Private Ryan is a different film in DTS... oh and the same goes for Tital AE

9. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don Henley - Live, Inside Job just to show a disc where DD is incomparably better than DTS

10. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    How do you do your back to back comparisons? I've found that this is easy on discs that allow you to change the audio format by simply pressing the audio button on the remote. However, many discs require you to go through the on screen menu and re-select the audio format. This takes time and doesn't have the same impact as instant on the fly changes. I presume it's a function of the disc and not the DVD player that determines if the audio button has any effect.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried LOTR, and to be honest I can't tell any difference.

Perhaps I need to spend more time with it.

Maybe I should just switch the centre on, and see if voices sound better with either one? and then do the same for surround, and then sub?

12. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Nah not really, if you can't tell any difference then thats fine. Even if there are minor differences, we're talking about differences so minor that it would require seriously high end amps, proccessors and speakers to even begin to hear, and even then you would need an ABX listening test to be sure that you can tell any difference.

What kit you got Nathan?

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DC-2 and Audiolab amps.

14. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Speakers? (you seem to have the high end processor and amp bit covered! :) )

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kef Q floorstanders, Kef 200 centre, NHT Dipoles rears, Rel Storm Sub.

B&W 601's for rears later on (then will use NHT's as sides)

16. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    To me, the deep bass is a bit more controlled - listen to the cave troll sequence, the LFE thuds on the DTS track seem to be tighter and have more punch, the DD sounds a bit messy there by comparison.

And the surrounds seem to have more presence, try the bit where gandalf gets aggro with bilbo - 27 minutes in on the R1, or when liv tyler is chased by the wraiths, the choral voices in the surround do sound better/more detailed.

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomb Raider is available in europe ((germany i think)) and has a dts 24/96 track, i didnt like Tomb Raider much but its there if anyone wants to buy it and tell forum members how it sounds.