1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs through XBrick and prog scan

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by GazTheHat, Jan 7, 2005.

1. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all,

I'm exhaustively reading my way through the posts, but i have a question i've not been able to find. I don't know whether this makes sense or is it me being clever/stupid* (delete as appropriate)

I believe, but i'm gonna double check, my Viera plasma only has one component input. (Feel free to correct me) ;) The dvd would win over the xbrick anytime for that input. BUT...My dvd doesn't have prog-scan component out (DV-444), so i'm thinking of replacing it later this year, if the below is not an option.

So, is it still worth me getting the M$ HD pack, switching to a higher res and playing the DVDs via XBMC, through my modded PAL xbrick, to achieve prog scan and a better picture?? :confused:

Who would've thought getting a new tv would open up so many new/confusing areas.... :rolleyes:

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Following on from my reply in your other post, Yes and No would be my answer. Yes get the HD Cable, yes your get Prog-Scan(but only 480p IIRC) from DVD movies, but No part of my answer is that an xbox for playing dvd's for you should only be a temporary soloution, you should, as you say, be looking to get a new dedicated dvd player soon, something like a Denon 2910 i would of thought to suit your Panasonic Viera

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    seconded

4. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the reply. Think i'll get the HD pack, set it up to Comp, but leave the movies for the DVD player and save up for a new prog scan player.

And by price of that player, it's gonna take forever to save :eek:

Anyone know the going price for a kidney?? ;)

5. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK, what the hell are the HDMI and DVI-D connections all about?? Something else i've not heard of/know about. :confused:

I dunno, go off the scene, out the country and stop upgrading for a couple of years and all of a sudden you dont know :censored:

Technology!! Who's have it...
    :p

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    HDMI and DVI-D are ALL DIGITAL conections, kinda like Optical or Coaxial Digital connections but for picture instead of sound. Not that many display panels have either of the sockets yet(IIRC your Panasoinc does not) but they are becoming more common, especially on Projectors. AFAIK there is no difference in quality between HDMI and DVI-D as they both do the same job and many converters from one to the other are available. I have found this:HDMI and DenonAVCAX1regarding HDMI and thisDVI-D which is just a picture of a DVI cable(DVI-D can also be found on PC Graphics cards btw) and the socket itself is more commonly found of PC TFT Monitor rather than on Plasmas

7. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the info. After you posted about the Denon, i read up on the HDMi and DVi connections. It's just another things that nothing i have supports. Let me get upto prog scan dvd and component first ;)

See the Denon player you listed, £529. I was thinking more the Pioneer 575(?) for £109 from empire. There surely can't be that much difference in the £400 when you take out the extra (in my case, redundant) connections??

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    The Pioneer is a fantastic DVD player, planning to get one myself whenever I upgrade my TV to one that supports PAL Progressive Scan as at the moment it only handles NTSC so not much point in changing from my current Toshiba atm. I suggested the Denon as a mate of mine has the same model(but the older one without HDMI) and on his 36" CRT Tv the Prog-scan picture is fantastic.