DVDs that won't play - who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RichCave, Jan 19, 2001.

1. RichCave

RichCave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read countless postings by people who have bought R2 DVDs that won't play properly on their player.
    I understand that Gladiator has been reissued due to technical difficulties with certain players, and then there were the problems with the Matrix...
    Well, I thought I was immune, but I've come across my first.
    I have an Encore DV-450, and it won't play chapter 13 of Jurassic Park. Same problem that many of you have encountered with Blade, MIB, Fight Club etc. Lost World (which is very similar) plays fine.

So, my questions are this:

1). Why should we have to put up with this?
    2). Does anyone know of a database that shows which player won't play which DVD?
    3). Is there such a thing as a player which will play every DVD? (Let's be modest and say every R2 DVD)

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I can gather a lot of it has been caused by putting computer content on DVDs that a lot of players don't seem to be able to handle. Other disks apparently push the boundaries of the DVD spec and some players don't like that. I guess some players are more tolerant than others. I think the fact that some disks have been reissued would imply some kind of culpability on behalf of the disk manufacturers.

From my own standpoint, I have a R2 Pioneer 626 which I bought modified for all region from LinkOnline. I have yet to find any DVD from any region that has caused me problems. Maybe I'm just lucky, but so far I've bought R2, R1, R0 disks, from the UK, USA, Canada and Germany, RCE disks too, and not one has failed to play.

3. scissor

scissor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who's to blame - you are for not investing in decent equipment

4. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I must agree with sciissor,all budget players have problems,i,ve had pioneer and panasonic players,r1 and r2 without any problems,it seem you have to spend a bit more to get reliability with players,so i dont blame the discs
    pat

5. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not always True, expensive players from Sony etc... will not play certain discs. For example the Toy Story Box Set -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/entertain/wwtoystory.shtml

Including the expensive Sony 725.

It would seem that all players have problems (yours will most likely, if it doesn’t know) and will continue to have problems until the software and hardware manufactures get together and make sure it doesn't.

So you see not only cheaper makes are prone to problems.

6. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought an all-region (manually switched via handset) Sony 715 over 2 years ago from Link electronics (Link Online) and it has played every disc I have put in it, which is now over 300, including RCE discs (Patriot, etc. the only problem I have had has been lip-synching on R2, believe it or not, which a firmware upgrade fixed. My advice is to get a chipped model from a reputable dealer (Techtronics are also v. good) and don't rely on handset hacks.

7. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I own a Sony DVP-S715 for 2 and a half years and have had no problems with these discs also. I had a few problems 2 years ago with "Contact" but the problem was within the disc itself, not the player (the "DVD rot" issue).

NS

8. morrisb

morrisb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't expect every piece of software to run on my computer. Hardware changes at an incredible rate and developers continually innovate with coding techniques.

I DO expect software to be clearly labelled - giving the minimum spec of the machine it will run on.

Why not have the same apply to DVDs?

The long list of machines that won't play the third disc of Toy Story is simply atrocious - particularly given Disney's extortionate pricing policy. So far Buena Vista blames my player and my player's manufacturer blames Buena Vista.

I end up carrying the can.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Prob are not the DVD players themselve, but the films themseleves not going with DVD standards. All Players have some sort of Problem! For examply my friends Pioneer 626 DVD player Does not Play Terminator 2 Judgement Day or other brands manifest other types of Problems! For Example The Matrix did not run on Several DVD Players! I think the format is not that stable Yet!

10. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would completely agree with Morrisb and Gatt.

11. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Gatt about the DVDs not being to spec. It seems the producers are 'pushing the envelope' with the result that many players can't handle it.

I'm not sure you could label DVDs with a 'minimum spec' though. That works for the PC, where everyone (or almost everyone) has an Intel-compatible processor and some flavour of Windows, and it's possible to upgrade your PC by adding more memory etc. How would they do that for DVDs? Specify the level of firmware required to run? For which Manufacturers? And how could user's easily check?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD took us with a boom, and as the format is still being developed I think DVD Suppliers should have just given us the option that DVD Players could be easily upgraded through some sort of Serial Port, with the rest of the connectors at the back! While the hardware producers are also at a blame of not supporting there players with new firmware upgrades that could be easily done by everyone and not by authorised dealers only!

13. Matt P

Matt P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arcam with their up grades on CD have got this issue sorted. Apparently you insert the CD with the upgrade on and play it. Done.

You can't blame the purchaser for buying cheep players. It's the marketing methods of the manufacturers. They 'sell' the technology which doesn't live up to the hype. They know this and this is why they are not so hot on after sale support.

This applies across the range of player. I think if they arn't careful they will undermine a great idea and 'kill' a market. I think this is why new CD formats are sluggish even if they are better(?). We know that yo ubuy a CD it will work in your walkman or your Audio Research player.

If new and better things are to take off and sell they have to live up to the hype. Too often the rush to sell more and make more money forces companys to put out products that prommis more than they can deliver.

You can't blame that on the punter.

14. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, I like the idea of the upgrade coming on CD. I can certainly see that working for most people if they can find a way to distribute them....and don't charge a fortune for what is essentially a bug fix!