1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs Stop Playing mid disc On SD220E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DNA, Dec 12, 2002.

1. DNA

DNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just upgraded from a Wharefdale 750 to a multi-region SD220e (richer sounds, firmware 1.5). The picture quality is certainly an improvement on the Tosh, however I'm getting problems on a couple of my fav discs that I did not get on the 750.

Phantom Menace (region free) stops at about chapter 31 and will not continue until you skip past chapter 34 ish. This might be where the layer change is I don't know.

The Mummy Returns (region free) stops at the beginning , where the ROCK eats the scorpion, still in chapter 1. It needs nudging forward a few frames before it will continue.

I have not noticed any problems with any R1 or R2 discs.

I would like to try & establish whether this is a problem with the discs that did not bother the 750 or whether it may be a problem with the Tosh, so couple of questions, if I may :

Firstly what is the technical reason that causes a DVD player to stop playing in the middle of a disc.

Secondly, as the Tosh is a better player. I would have expected it to cope better with 'problem discs'. It certainly plays my R3 copy of crouching tiger much better than the 750 ever did.

Hope someone can help.

DNA

2. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had problems with disks that have stopped.
    Usually with the pictrue breaking up 1st then maybe stopping.
    They've all been rental dvd's.

DVD's seem more susceptible to scratches than cd's.

Oh! I have a Tosh 220, and it's a recent upgrade.
    Just last night I had one disk stop part way through, and, as I said above, it was a rental with a poor surface - lots of 'pits' and shallow scrapes.

(FYI It was an In-movies dvd - Hart's War. To be fair, it's only my 2nd problem disk of theirs in 40+. Still a better average than my local rental shop)

3. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly this same problem with my 220 about 5 months into ownership. Problem suddenly started appearing on new disks I had bought. I discovered that my son had viewed the film before I did and had left some sweaty fingerprints on the play side of the disk. Cleaned the disk and problem went away. 220 seems to be very sensitive to less than perfect surfaces.

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Any problems with Lord of the Rings Disk 2 (Region 1 Canadian)?