DVDs recorded on Pioneer DVR-5100H-S and played in Onkyo DV-S535

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Benfica, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm writing this post because I've seen something that I wasn't expecting at all, although it was very nice indeed.

I've a Pioneer DVR-5100-HS, and have made some DVD-R so far (by the way, all with success, and with very good PQ, ranging from FINE mode - 1 hr / DVD, SP mode - 2 hr / DVD, until 2h45m / DVD.
    Well, indeed very good PQ, at least with my SONY KV-32FQ75 Television, they all look great.

I've also a Onkyo DV-S535 DVD / CD Player, wich when I bought it (~3 years ago), was told that it wouldn't play any DVD-R (at that time that was not required by me). In fact, at that time, I indeed test some DVD-R with it and it didn't played any. So, I really was convinced that it didn't.

Last night, don't ask me why, I've tried to play in the Onkyo player one of my DVD-R burned in the Pioneer, and for my surprise, it played, and also played very well.

I've tried almost of the other DVD-R that I've made, and they all played very well !

I've tried, again, some DVD-R burned in a PC (from my brother), and some did play (very few) and all the others didn't.

Can you please help me in trying to understand why this happens ?

Not that I'm sad about it, indeed I'me very well surprised and pleased. Just would like to understand why.

Best regards,

Rui

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    In a nutshell two things can affect whether a DVD-R will play in a DVD player: ability to read the disk and understanding of the data recorded onto the disk. The former depends upon the drive - but as DVD-R is the closest match to a commercially produced DVD there are very few drives which cannot read them. This is further supported by the fact that DVD-R is a worldwide format and thus all drives/players are tested with it as a matter of course.

The latter depends upon the software used to make the disk - numerous things can affect it (burning programme, how the DVD-Video files were authored etc). Obviously on your Pioneer DVDR you simply cannot make a recording that does not comply with the DVD-Video specification (and thus cannot be read). With PC authoring you have more powerful software which will let you go outside the limits hence incompatibility.

It goes without saying there is a bit more to it all than that - but, briefly, that is the situation. I'm away from home at the moment but when I get back I can post you some links if you like.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I should have stated that the disks you use also can have an affect - cheap, dodgy disks will sometimes refuse to play (especially in older DVD players). Always use branded media.

4. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak !
    I would apreciate those links that you mention.

Perhaps i didn't emphasize this, but what is surprising to me is that 3 years ago I was not able to play in the Onkyo player any DVD-R that i've tried, and 3 years after I can !

Three years ago, my Onkyo dealer told me it would never play a DVD-R, based on Onkyo information.

Today I received a mail from Onkyo Support (I have mailed them yesterday asking if there were any upgrade in order to play DVD-R), and Onkyo told me that my player can't play a DVD-R, and there is no possible upgrade to allow that !!!

But last night I tried it myself, and, in reality, my Onkyo Player does play DVD-R (at least all that are burned with my Pioneer DVDR, and some burned on a PC) !

Amazing ! 3 years after I found out this !
    In these 3 years I had never put any DVD-R in my Onkyo player.
    I'm glad I've tried them last night !

Just trying to understand all this !

Thanks again !

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    From a DVD player/ROM perspective a DVD-R is close enough to a commercial DVD to play. Certainly the vast majority of elderly DVD players do not officially support DVD-R - however with only a few exceptions they all play because they simply can't tell the difference.

The incompatibility you suffered several years ago was probably due to a mix of disk types/makes you were using and the burning software you were recording them with (reliable DVD-Video burning applications didn't become properly available until early 2002).