1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs play but colour and picture tone wavers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nettynot, Jan 17, 2005.

1. nettynot

nettynot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a fairly old/obscure television - Saishio CT141X. Its only connection is an RF input. In order to play DVDs I am feeding the signal from my DVD player (Alba DVD50Xi) into my video (Salora SV6910) scart to scart. I then press a button on my video remote which indicates to the video (also pre-historic) that it is receiving an incoming signal from an external source (the video manual anticipates this being a camcorder or another video). I have two Region 0 DVDs of old children's TV programs which play faultlessly. However there is a problem with my three Region 2 DVDs which are of feature films. When playing these DVDs the colour contantly intensifies until completely saturated then diminishes in an undulating rhythm. These play fine on other DVD players. The DVD player has a "Pal"/"NTSC" broadcast system and was bought from Tescos.
    I have been reading up about RF modulators thinking that a more direct connection with my TV set might do the trick but the supplier I contacted said he doubted it would.
    Can anyone help...

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    I would suggest its MacroVision kicking in on the video player. The older discs you have must not have the Macro coded into it. If you do connect the dvd player directly into a televsion, I would imagine your discs will play fine.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

3. nettynot

nettynot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Keith. That's really helpful. Out of interest what is Macrovision? As you can tell by my set up this is not my field of expertise..

4. nettynot

nettynot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith, it's ok, I just fed MacroVision into Google and now I'm the wiser. I feel quite sure you're right and that's what's causing the problem. Thanks again for your help. :clap:

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    You really should swap out that old, Currys/Dixons own-brand TV for something a little more current. If you are watching DVD, then a widescreen set is in order.

However, if not, then your Macrovision search on "google" should have found you one or two retailers of macrovision-suppressing cables/boxes, which should solve the problem.

6. nettynot

nettynot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel. That's good to know and may be a cheaper option than the RF modulator, I'll look see. Unfortunately the wide screen tv is not an option at the moment due to lack of funds but I know you're right :)