1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs On Spindle vs DVDs In Cases

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jesmat2003, Apr 24, 2004.

1. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought a Panasonic E85 and am looking to buy my first batch of blank DVD-Rs. These will mainly be used for long-term archiving. After reading posts on this and other forums, the Verbatim and Panasonic blank media appear to be very reliable for use in Panasonic machines. However, I've also read comments about the Verbatim discs saying that it's better to buy the ones that come in cases rather than the ones on a 25 or 50 disc spindle as the spindle discs aren't as reliable.

Are the blank DVD-Rs that come on a spindle any different or inferior to ones from the same manufactuer that come housed in individual cases? I'm tempted by the offer on the Panasonic E-Shop for 50 DVD-Rs on a spindle and 20 DVD-Rs in cases for £60, but would appreciate anyone's comments and experiences on using discs on a spindle.

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no problem with spindle DVDs. You're paying for the cases otherwise & not extra quality. Try www.valuemedia.co.uk

Best to buy a decent size CD wallet (eg. 100 CD's) & use that to store your burnt spindle DVDs

Dave

3. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have only ever used discs on a spindle with my HS2 (4 months old now) - never had any problems. BigPockets and SVP are the retailers I normally use, and I've not had a coaster from >100 Ritek G03 or G04 discs. Once burnt, I use proper plastic DVD cases to put them in.

Mark

4. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure about the Panasonic discs on a spindle, I’ve never used them on my Panasonic E50 as I only use Verbatim discs, but I’m pretty sure if you buy the discs from Panasonic you’ll be more than happy with them. I don’t think I’ve read about anybody having a bad or inferior Panasonic disc. It’s only been the cost of Panasonic discs that have put me off buying them so far (although this does seem to be a good deal they have at the moment, not long ago it was £80 just for the spindle of 50 discs with no extras), plus they did seem to run out of stock quite a lot.

As for the Verbatim discs, I don’t believe it’s being on a spindle that is the issue, from what I’ve read I think the differences has more to do with the fact that their range of discs are made for them by different manufacturers and the different lead in codes, their best discs (the ones that my panny loves :thumbsup: ) are those that are labelled with “Datalifeplus” and have the lead in codes of MCC or TY. Most of these are Jewel cased, although they can be bought on spindles. I got a 25 spindle of 4x which were MCC coded and they worked perfectly. I mainly use the 2x Printable and 4x Pastel discs myself, which are jewel cased and have not had any problems with them and they are only 80p/85p each at the moment.

The Verbatim discs that you have probably read about people having problems with are those labelled with “datalife” that are coded with CMCMAG, they only come in spindles and I personally wouldn’t use them over the MCC or TY coded discs on my E50.

Hammy

5. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Hammy. Yes I'd heard that the Verbatim "DataLifePlus" DVD-Rs were decent discs. I sort of assumed that all Verbatim DVD-Rs were labelled "DataLIfePlus". I didn't realise some were not.

Is it ok to post links on this forum? I was originally looking at these Verbatim discs:

25 x Verbatim DVD-Rs on spindle

...but noticed that the website quoted the lead in as being CMCMAG, which I've heard are to be avoided. I couldn't read the writing on the pack shot but just assumed they were "DataLifePlus". From what you've said, perhaps they are just labelled "DataLife" ?

I've seem a different design of 25 x Verbatim discs on a spindle here:

25 x Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-Rs on a spindle

Clicking on 'see larger picture' shows that that the packaging design is slightly different and that the pack is clearly labelled "DataLifePlus". Do you think these are the better quality Verbatim DVD-Rs from a non-CMCMAG producer? As someone new to DVD-R, it seems strange that Verbatim would sell two different 25 x disc spindles at roughly the same price but with different quality discs made by different producers.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am using verbatim X 4 at present. Fingers crossed only had a couple of faulty discs out of 60 in a jewel case. The fault being on two discs is that they would stutter during the last 20 min of playback or even freeze at some points.

Which brings me to the Verbatim discs on a spindle. My first batch of 25 being "CMC" were ok but the 2nd batch of 25 once again being CMC" most of which stuttered during the last 20 min or so on playback. I now avoid the spindle ones as being unpredictable. By and large I would suggest you will have greater reliability from disc in a Jewel case for what ever reason.....

I have only ever tried 1 Panasonic disc but my computer drive would not read and havn't tried any since.

I have now had more than 2 year experience with DVD-R discs of differing brands and types and you will find that discs that work ok for a time are likely sooner or later to turn sour and you will have to go back to the drawing board.

With manufactures constantly changing writing speed types of dye etc in favour of computer burners means there is no consistency for very long with any of the brands. The poor stand alone recorder owner has to put up with all the changes that may be good for computer burners but are a disaster for some stand alone recorders.

I can understand the compatibility problem of discs playing properly in older players or computer drives but when modern discs fail to play properly in modern players then that in my oppinion is inexusable.

After more than two years of DVD recorders and burners it's about time the manufactures of discs and machines got there act together and stopped this mess for consumers that they have created or do nothing but nothing to put it right.

7. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I’m fairly newish to all this too, I remember searching for discs, when I was having problems, and read about 2x Verbatims and bought the CMC spindle ones not realising everyone was talking about the 2x printable jewelled cased MCC ones. :oops: Although most did eventually work, they certainly didn’t like recording anything over two hours, and like Malcolm, I had a couple with errors near the end of the disc.

The first site that you’ve posted is where I got a spindle of 4x discs from and contrary to what they have on their site, the discs that arrived were, “datalifeplus” with the coding MCC 01RG20 (which is the same discs that are shown on your second site) and they worked perfectly on my E50, that was at the start of the year, and the site had the same description back then. Only used those discs once so can’t say for sure exactly what they may be supplying today.

These are the folks that I use for my Verbatim discs.

www.cd-rmedia.co.uk

As I said before the discs I use on my E50 are the Pastel ones which are made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden, they are an excellent disc, and 2x printable which are MCC coded (from both India and Taiwan) again a really good disc (although this disc is being discontinued so will be on to the 4x printable next).
    So far have had no problems with either disc on my Panny or PC writers, touch wood. ;) :)

I really find it strange that at a time when more people are buying standalones, most manufacturers are discontinuing their 1x and 2x discs, you would think that with increasing sales of standalones that the manufacturers would realise that there will be an increasing market for a reliable and compatible 1x and 2x media. Just seems strange to me.
    If standalones recorders are the replacement for the vcr, then IMO there is going to be a big market out there that is not computer related or driven. :)

Hammy

8. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hammy, are these both the Pastel discs you use (see links below)? According to the product page on the cd-media.co.uk website these Pastel discs are MCC coded:

Verbatim Set Of 5 Pastel Discs at cd-media.co.uk

Verbatim Set Of 5 Pastel Discs at Big Pockets

The reason I've included the Big Pockets link is that although they're more expensive I can easily collect these from their offices in the Midlands.

Thanks for the recommendation about the Verbatim x2 DVD-Rs in jewel cases. Big Pockets still has these in stock for about £1.10 per disc here:

Verbatim x2 at Big Pockets

They appear to be more expensive than other dealers but I'm able to collect so would save on postage costs.

9. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure why the site says MCC, the ones they have sent me are TYG01 coded, Made in Japan. The ones on the BigPockets site have the same Verbatim number (43267) as the discs i have so it should be the same discs. :)

The 2x printable jewel cased MCC are good, burned close to 400 between two machines (both E50s) and not one coaster.

Hammy

10. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Hammy. I've ordered 20 of the Pastel discs and 20 of the Printable x2 rather than the spindle discs I was originally planning to buy.