DVD's NOT Watched

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gary D, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i was looking through my DVD collection last night and i counted 30 dvd's that i've bought but not watched yet.

i was wondering if anybody else has this addiction as well - buying dvd's and not watching them or am i the only one?

Gary

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hehe, yeah I think everyone here has this problem ;) :p
    Do a search, this came up before with a HUGE amount of replies (I think!!)

Dave

3. mattcharlton

mattcharlton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm exactly the same, managed to find the friends boxsets at HMV still marked up at the lower half price so we bought series 2-6 (we already have 1, 7, 8). Also got the ultimate mummy collection still shrinkwrapped :/

Theres quite a few of them I haven't watched, I know I'll get round to it eventually though :)

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my DVDs arranged on various shelves of a purpose made rack and the top shelf is filled exclusively with DVDs that not only have I not watched but haven't even removed from their original shrinkwrap!

One of the biggest problems I find is choosing a film to watch that all the potential viewers can agree on, so we invariably end up either watching Sky, drinking more lager and/or going for a curry.

The really dumb part about it is that I buy R1s that sometimes are with me before the film comes out in the cinema but by the time I actually watch the DVD, the film's on Sky!

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is dumb!:D I usually watch my DVDs the same day I get them and have watched all of mine,

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How the hell do you find the time? :eek:

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    the worst ones for me are boxsets, i've got the x-files boxsets 1-5 (thats 34 disks!!!) and i've watched about 5 episodes!! yet i keep buying dvd's - my wife just raises her eyebrows and tut's when a new dvd arrives in the house ha ha

Gary

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too. Occasionally, I go on a buying spurt and pick up a bunch of DVDs in the same week. But, I make sure that I've watched ALL of them before I buy a single new DVD.

As for finding the time to watch them... it's easy. I only buy DVDs that I'm going to watch. (wow... drastic I know)

I mean, what's the point of paying for them if you're not going to watch them? Surely you could just buy the cases for 99p to fill up your shelf.

If I owned a DVD mail order company and a single person was buying 40-50 DVDs from us a month, I'd be inclined to send them empty cases. By the time he/she finds out, my company will be long out of business. :D

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    normal DVD day would be no more than one purchase... one film a night is easy. Two films would be saved until a thursday when my gf stays at her parents so I can get some beers in and watch both.

More than two films and the leftovers are watched when I get a spare couple of hours, usually at the weekend. A film won't go unwatched in my house for more than a week... TV boxsets are usually watched one episode a night until they're done.

Having spent an utter fortune on AV kit this year I feel its my duty to get the most out of it!:D

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would that particular night be saved for any particular type of film by any chance ;)

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i watch about 5 films a week, but sometimes i just cant keep up with whats out to rent and what i buy. i work part time for blockbusters so i get free rentals and i get a staff discount. i bought two more dvd's while i was at work last night (the office £11, small soldiers £5, Jackie brown dble disk on saturday £9 and the godfather set last thursday £24)

I must start leaving my wallet at home when i go to work i wont buy anymore!!!! ha ha

Gary

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha! Not the ones you're thinking about, Movietyme are still too expensive! But more often than not it the ones with subtitles... still can't convince her to watch foriegn films.

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a candlelight screening of 'Man Bites Dog' she'll no doubt be enchanted by the deliciously whimsical, romantic comedy nature of the film to the point of not even noticing the subtitles :devil:

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy,

Clearly if you were more decisive with your viewing material you would have no unwatched DVDs, like James and I ;)

Tell a lie.. I have 6 DVDs that are unwatched. But then they only arrived within the last 6 weeks :p

Incidentally, I don't know how anyone can leave the shrinkwrap on. Don't you want to check that the disk is okay inside the case??? :confused:

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good point about the shrink wrap, I take that off and check the disc even if the disc arrives at work. I must say that my DVD collection is a lot less 'flabby' than my old vhs collection. All my DVDs are films I rate highly and will watch again sometime... I couldn't say that about my tapes.

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is, I really want to watch every single one I buy... and, strangely, I watch some more than once and also rent some R2s now and again.

I think I may have a marathon session over Christmas and catch up with them all.

I can honestly say, in over 6 years of buying CDs and subsequently DVDs off the Net, I have never once had a broken case or damaged disc.

This may have something to do with me putting cushions under the letterbox when I'm expecting something :):D

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is, I really want to watch every single one I buy... and, strangely, I watch some more than once (I can't stop watching 'We Were Soldiers' for some reason) and also rent some R2s now and again.

I think I may have a marathon session over Christmas and catch up with them all.

I can honestly say, in over 6 years of buying CDs and subsequently DVDs off the Net, I have never once had a broken case or damaged disc.

This may have something to do with me putting cushions under the letterbox when I'm expecting something :):D

18. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I will have about 100 DVDs that I will not have gotten round to watching when Chrismas comes around [finally convinced family to buy DVDs rather than Hai Karate aftershave sets]. The trouble is I don't have time in the evenings to watch films most nights of the week, so my buying has overtaken my watching. :(

Boink!

19. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100?! that's my whole collection! it's also a grand you could have spent on something else! Insanity.:eek:

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really must spend more on DVDs, Jimlad ;) :p

Agree that having a 100 unwatched DVDs is madness. However, sometimes is better to buy them while you can because if you wait, some of them can go OOP :(

21. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's since March in which time I've also bought the dvd player, w/s TV, receiver, Gallos (and sub in the next fortnight), Gamecube and as of yesterday a gorgeous (bloody expensive) AV rack to sit all of it on!! So I'm not doing to bad.:D
    next step (after three Gallo surrounds) is to start replacing the titles I want to keep from my VHS collection!

22. sparkz

sparkz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be a common problem. I have around 30 I haven't seen yet. Either saving them for a rainy day or just when I get some spare time. Another problem is that my wife doesn't like sci-fi so I usually have to watch those late at night anyway. Would you beleive I have Star Wars I & II and Lord of the Rings in my unwatched collection :eek: I haven't seen them at the cinema either!

In my defense some of the unwatched films are favourites which I've already seen and just like to own for viewng at my leisure.

4 years ago before I got DVD I had a related problem with taping programs. I used to record and then not watch them. Daft eh!

23. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Sparkz, have you concidered leaving your wife unwatched for the evening? :)

Gary

24. sparkz

sparkz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a thought but I don't think she'll go for it!

Actually, since I made my mind up that I want a plasma tv I've been keeping some back for some eye popping entertainment. By the time I get around to it though, HD-DVD (or whatever it's called) will probably be the rage and I'll probably have to replace them with the new versions!

On the plus side family and friends think I've a great DVD library!

25. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I feel for you Brother, I'm in the same situation! Anyway, I was including the thirty or so titles as Christmas presents in my unwatched list, so I'm not doing so bad. Trouble is, I started collecting late and had to get all the films I loved first and then there's these DVD bargains that the Forums keep advertising.

I promise I have things more under control now and don't actually have any titles on order, pre-order or about to buy.

JUST SAY NO! :D

Boink!

26. sparkz

sparkz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must practice that...NNN...NNN...NNN...NYes. Ok, I'll work on it just after my Christmas pre-orders have arrived :D

27. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Likewise, ST:NG season 5 and X-Files season 6 arrived on the same day a while back. ST:NG season 6's just got here and I'm only on the 3rd disc of ST:NG season 4!

Some of us have to work (occasionally that is).

28. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought the LOTR 4 disc to watch on Xmas day (no queens speech & Morcombe & Wise reruns for me :mad: ) & on Boxing day I plan to go & see LOTR part II at my local fleapit.

I've also got Ice Age to watch as well but that will be saved until my 4 year old nephew visits again as he loves this film./

29. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

NOW there's an idea.
    Anyone want CHEAP DVD's????? VERY cheap.

30. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got dvds that i bought while on honeymoon in florida almost 4 years ago.im just too lazy.:D :blush: