DVD's in France.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Grimley, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's something interesting I discovered today.
    I've just come back from a day trip to France on my annual booze cruise (& enjoyable day out as well)

I was looking in Cite Europe's Carrefours DVD dept. & saw some of the titles on offer - easily 3-400! which is more than any supermarket has on offer here & would put most of the small DVD high street retailers to shame! They even had superbit titles on sale!

But what caught my eye was the amount of french DVD titles with DTS soundtracks, some films were films I've never seen or heard. but others were more familiar & after checking I'm certain these film DVD titles are not available here with DTS soundtracks!:mad:
    (correct me if i'm wrong)
    Here are two examples:

Pearl Harbor (4 disc directors cut THX remastered)
    The Crow (THX remastered)

Here's one that doesn't have a DTS soundtrack in R1 or R2 in English - Judge Dredd!!
    B4 anyone goes out there to add to their DTS DVD collections, the DTS soundtracks are in French only!:mad:

Prices are about the same in the shops here & will play here too, As I own a french version of the 5th Element.
    by the way I don't own any of the above DVD's in any region.

You may think I'm sad to rant about this, I think that any forum member who owns one or all of the above three titles & want them with a English DTS soundtrack but can't afford a multi-region player or cannot obtain R1 DVDs have a right to know this (not many probably)

My point is; what have the french done to deserve these above releases:confused: is their DVD market bigger or better than ours, or is it too much trouble for the film studios to release DVDs with ENGLISH DTS soundtracks as well as FRENCH DTS soundtracks!:mad:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, it doesn't leave much space for the movie or extras if they do that!

DTS requires a higher bit rate data stream than DD5.1 (up to 4 times the equivalent DD5.1 data stream). So two DTS streams, plus two DD5.1 streams would take up quite a bit of room!

So, you might think, "let's forget about the DD soundtracks and just have DTS"..... But then some (in fact, lots of) people wouldn't be able to play the DVDs because not everybody has an AV receiver or even a DTS-capable receiver. More importantly, however, DTS is not part of the specification for DVD-Video. A DVD must contain either a Linear PCM or an MPEG or a DD (but not necessarily 5.1) soundtrack. DTS may only be provided as an optional soundtrack in addition to one or more of these.

3. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    French DVD's are great. They already have the 2 disc version of apocalypse now redux, and I think its the only country in the world where you can get a good, remastered copy of 'Johnny Got His Gun'.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's also the only place in the world where you can get an anamorphic version of "The Cube".

My pet hate is that they don't put English subtitles on their French cinema DVDs. I think that's rather inconsiderate considering that they are still R2 and we are all supposed to be part of the lovely EU and, more importantly, we have French subtitles on ours :( I'd own a lot more French cinema if they did that as some French films that I want are only available in France. :(

5. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "My pet hate is that they don't put English subtitles on their French cinema DVDs..."

...well, they do actually, and more often than you might think(ocasionally they even have a - !shudder! - dubbed-into-English track[°]) - but perhaps not on those movies that you happen to be interested in...

[°]e.g. "Place Vendôme", "Le Jaguar", "Cartouche"

. . . ;) . . .

6. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I meant was this: why have the film studios gone to so much trouble to dub a DTS soundtrack into french for french DVDs, just for the french DVD market, when the film was shot in english in the first place. Then not bothered to put a DTS soundtrack on the english version which would have been so much easier, even though both countires are R2?

I can appreciate the fact the film will have been dubbed into french anyway for showing in french speaking countries. To me that doesn't make sense.

I know most people here don't care what soundtrack a DVD has DD or DTS, but some people do care & it irritates me that some DVDs with DTS soundtracks are available in france which you can't get here & there is no point in buying them unless you understand french. I could get them in R1 though, except JD.

I just remembered another title by the way - The Mummy Ultimate edition.

7. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...ahh... FYI: the Spanish DVD of The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night has an anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer, and an English DD 5.1 soundtrack ... plus a Spanish dts 5.1 soundtrack...

http://www.veoveo.es/docs/detalle.asp?d=28868

. . . ;) . . .

8. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Sleepy Hollow DTS fantastic! This is a french disc you just gotta have.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct. Now go and find me English subtitles on "Tenue de Soirée" and "Les Valseuses" and I'll be an extremely happy man ;) Both of these are "big" films starring Gerard Depardieu and directed by Bertrand Blier. So why not English subtitles? :mad: Interesting really, because "Les Valseuses" has a US release as "Going Places", which is the version I have but the subtitles are not very true to the original French, especially seeing as the Americans have seen fit to replace any mention of the word "Franc" with "Dollar" :mad:

I would say most people here do care about DTS (here being the forum). When you consider Joe Public though, most people don't. Hell, most people don't care about non-anamorphic or anamorphic (mainly 'cause most of Joe Public don't know what it is) :eek:

10. denonman

denonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the dts on SLEEPY HOLLOW ENGLISH or FRANCAIS??

11. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry God of all Squirrels,
    When I said most people here I did mean Joe public!

OO-Err! my 50th post!

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah - you meant "here" as in "Engerland", rather than "here" as in the "forum" - okeydokey :)

Many happy returns :D

13. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,104
    DTS in Sleepy Hollow is English.
    It's the first French disc I bought and I was gob smacked. When I first saw Sleepy Hollow on Reg 1 I was that amazed by the movie in egneral, but after getting it in DTS the movie comes to life (soundtrack is very important in this movie IMO) and it's now among my favs list..:)

14. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have got quite a few French DVD's and have to agree Sleepy Hollow DTS is one of the very best I have heard.

There used to be quite a lot of films that wern't available in the UK that were in France due to Canal+ funding some of the movies.
    I had Terminator 1&2 way before they came out in the UK.

If your on a day trip or holiday it's well worth looking out for DVD's that aren't in the UK

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... or buy them from www.amazon.fr :)

If you need to translate, use http://babel.altavista.com/tr