1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's - How many and how often do you buy them?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GarethH, Nov 28, 2000.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even though i love my AV setup, i have to admit to owning only 40 DVD's. I have had DVD since 1998 and had a crappy PC-DVD up until Oct Last year. I tend to only buy 1 or 2 DVD's a month. Sometimes less. I know people who own a 21" TV and cheap DVD Player that buy more DVD's than.

I find it odd that i love AV and buy so little DVD's to enjoy the system.

How many DVD's do you own, and how often do you buy them? Do you buy them without seeing them before hand? Do you buy them even though the quality of movie is not great?

------------------
    SETUP:
    Sony KV-32FX20 TV
    Pioneer 626D DVD Player
    Yamaha DSPa-595a Amp
    AE Ageis Two Fronts
    AE Ageis Center
    Mordant Short 05i Rears
    Tannoy m10 Sub

IXOS Scart and Coax Cable
    Cable Talk Speaker Cable
    Sega Dreamcast
    Playstation 2
    Taget Audio Rack

2. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm currently averaging more than 1 a week! There are now 60 in my collection, and I've only had my player for about 55 weeks.

Some films I'll buy just because of the film, regardless of extras/sound/pic quality etc.

Obviously, I won't buy a disc for any film that I don't like in the first place, but I have bought several discs in the past mainly for the extras. One such disc is Ghostbusters, which I've seen a hundred times and have no immediate desire to watch again!

Quite often these days, I won't even bother going to the cinema and just buy the film when it comes out on DVD. If I take the other half to the flicks then we'll inevitably have some ice cream and/or drinks and snacks and end up paying just about as much as I can get the disc for!

Peter

[This message has been edited by ptmbradley (edited 28-11-2000).]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get about 8 R1's a month from Amazon.com (just been hit with the customs coz of shipping via Zurich [​IMG]) and adout 3 R2's from Blackstar or Play247.

Nudging 500 discs now. AARGH...NEED MORE SHELVES!

So many mainly but coz I love cinema. Have yet to buy a film because of extras and demo quality, but always take the time to watch as much as possible before MrsH starts to complain.

Also about 90 are of TV shows; Monty Python(16), Men Behaving Badly(7), The Avengers(16), Thunderbirds(9), The Prisoner(6), Star Trek(18 so far) plus other assorted progs.

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 28-11-2000).]

4. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    If a new film is released that I want/like then I pretty much always buy it straight away whether it's region 1 or 2. I bought my first player at the beginning of '99 and I've got around 160 DVDs. It's real addiction, I just can't stop buying them. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

5. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You see i buy movies rarely because firstly i am a student and money is not something i have a lot of! Considering i bought this setup [​IMG]

I always seem to think to myself: "Oh i kinda liked that movie, but is it really worth owning on DVD!" Examples would be Patriot or Gone in 60 Seconds. I guess I still see DVD as a format for the supreme quality. Where films have to prove themselves to be owned on DVD! If i get out of that thought, i will purchase a lot more!!!!

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I buy one dvd a month, and hire once a week from my local Video store, they charge £2 a night for dvd's and about £2.75 a night for video's, yep I dont bother with video's anymore.
    And Blockbuster try to rip you of charging between £3 & £4.

Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned my DVD player since November last Year and I have nearly seventy discs.

I only buy the movies I really want and enjoyed. I sometimes buy something I have not seen if it recomended by a friend (who has very similar tastes to myself) and the Wife and I want to watch a movie at home at the weekend.

I dont buy a set amount per month/week...I tend to buy what is out and every so often remember a movie I loved but had forgotten about and order that too.

For instance I bought 11 DVD's last month, but only 2 the month before.

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

8. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have about 200 discs - I either buy on impulse (on hol in the States last month for example) or order any upcoming release that looks promising as well as going for some old favourites. I think most people will have had a bumper purchasing month last month with the release of some great titles like the Jurassic Park and Toy Story sets, but right now, having just received Gladiator, X-Men and Chicken Run I'm at my lowest pre-order ebb for ages. It seems there aren't too many exciting titles due out over the next couple of months.

9. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my first DVD player in July this year (and quickly did it justice by purchasing a w/s tv!)

Since July I've collected 42 discs, mainly R2 but a few R1/R4's. I wouldnt even conceive of buying a film just for the extras/picture/sound quality. (Would you buy a Cliff Richard album simply because it came with a 90 page gatefold booklet???).

The only thing I'm missing now is a good AV amp and a 5.1 speaker system. This may have to wait till I move house though!

Jay

------------------
    "What the fudge - if ya cant say it, ya can't do it..."

10. Hezzer

Hezzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm currently on 90+. I bought my first player Feb 99 and had all my collection (42) + player robbed in Jun 99. I have now replaced those that went (that I wanted to replace) and have continued collecting.

I tend to buy 1 or 2 per week but tend to limit myself to movies I like rather than just going for extra's etc. I also don't like being ripped off so I'm fairly choosy over whic version of a disk I get (R1, R2, SE, Criterion etc).

I feel the same about the upcoming releases as some of you guys. The schedule for the next few months sucks.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    50+ (all R1 or R3) and preferrably the quality should be good and include at least a DD 5.1 track or better DTS (no, I do not want to start a discussion here ... [​IMG] )
    Though of course some (usually older) movies don't have surround sound, like "Terminator" or "Casablanca" (which is even B&W only, but picture is pretty good for a movie of that age).
    New releases HAVE to be close to perfect, usually I will read the customer comments on the DVD retailers website and base my purchase on that. Not for the movie but for the quality.

Unfortunately sometimes you still end up with a crappy disc, the best (ie worst) example is "Highlander" (R1).
    But then again it was one of the first discs I ever purchased, actually the 2nd one after the pirated version (which I figured later only) of "Tombstone".

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    December's gonna be a bit of a blessed relief after October and November.

13. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Very true my credit card is still smoking, although I'll still be getting Se7en Platinum, Predator DTS and MAYBE Gone In 60 Seconds.... [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

14. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,554
  15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahem, I'll probably get crucified/flamed/burned on the altar for this but I'm averaging around 15 new ones a month at the moment, with a collection of just under 800. People think because I write for as site I get everything free, this is in fact far from the case as both my wife, bank manager and Movietyme will testify.

Saying that December is really poor with only about 7 titles!

------------------
    neil@dvddebate.com
    webmaster@bulletsnbabesdvds.com
    bulletsnbabesdvds.com
    dvddebate.com

16. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't figured out my average yet, but it's way more per month than I ought to!

I got my DVD player in mid October it was I think. I'd ordered a few DVDs around the same time to make sure I had some material to enjoy when the player arrived.

Unfortunately I went a bit mad and in the space of a month ended up with about, oh, err, £400 worth of discs I think! OOOPPPPSSS! Didn't realise how many I was getting.

Then I realised that because of all the extra's it takes me a fair while to completely watch all the content on a disc. Until that is done I don't consider the disc completed.

This made me realise I only need a handful every month I guess, but my list to buy is huge!

I think I buy more DVDs than audio CDs now...

Stuart

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

17. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I have about 130 DVDs now.
    Got my player in Oct 98 with the immortal line to my wife: 'Don't worry, I will only buy collectable and special films'.

Ended up buying all types of crap like Gone in 60 Seconds and Forces of Nature.

18. Timoth

Timoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    65+, until recently 4-6 a month but wedding plans and a bride-to-be have seen that down to 1-2( [​IMG] ) even though this month it jumped to 12.

I've only got a PC setup at the minute but that will soon change [​IMG].

19. Mikeonfreeserve

Mikeonfreeserve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha-ha,you're gonna love this....2!

But my excuse is I haven't got the player yet.It's the Mico on order from Unbeatable.

So any must haves as recommendations or steer clears would be welcome.

So,what've I got?

1.Rolling Stones at the Max which I first saw at the IMAX cinema at Bradford and it was stupendous.....home cinema,pah! Get thee to an IMAX screen.
    2.Godzilla(R1) my 7 year old son's current favourite.

Strange isn't it that my son and his ilk will regard DVD as old tech soon with their direct implants in years to come.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Pete H,

I'm impressed. I have only about 50-70 discs. My friend has about 400. I see him every month and he lends me around 12 each time.

Have you actually watched all the discs ? Last time I visited my mate he had 30'ish he hadn't seen and was finding it hard to catch up because new ones were arriving all the time !!

Jus

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I've watched all but a few, though finding time for all the extras is a bit tricky. I got a bit behind during October/November but hoping to catch up of Christmas. Luckily my job allows me a lot of time at home.

22. ROGER B

ROGER B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bougt around 35 DVD's since June this year aswell as spending around £2000 upgrading my system.

------------------
    There is no spoon!