DVD'S FROM THAILAND

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by soulbrother michael, Jun 16, 2001.

1. soulbrother michael

soulbrother michael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO THAILAND THIS WEEK.HE HAS TOLD ME YOU CAN GET DVD'S OUT THERE QUITE CHEAP.I BORROWED THE ART OF WAR OFF HIM WHICH WAS REGION 0 ,THIS PLAYED FINE ON MY PIONEER 737.DOES ANYONE KNOW IF REGION 0 DVD'S ARE THE SAME AS REGION 1 IN TERMS OF CONTENT & PACKAGING BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO GET A FILM IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE WITH SUBTITLES,CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME PLEASE

2. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Soulbrother

<<I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO THAILAND THIS WEEK.HE HAS TOLD ME YOU CAN GET DVD'S OUT THERE QUITE CHEAP.>>

A good source for Reg 1 DVDs in Thailand is Tower Records in World Trade Centre,or HMV on Silom Rd Bangkok. I don't know how much they cost.

If you are purchasing from Thailand what may be effectively copy DVDs, it's a case of buyer beware. :(

The menus may or may not work.The menus may also be in Thai or in one of the Chinese languages. You may have problems switching off the subtitles. The picture quality may be suspect and the sound questionable! The content may be the same but as for packaging you may just get a copy of the outside cover.

<<I BORROWED THE ART OF WAR OFF HIM WHICH WAS REGION 0 ,THIS PLAYED FINE ON MY PIONEER 737>>

As long as you just want to play back the movie, they maybe ok, if however you are looking for REG 1 content eg documentaries, bibliography, trailers etc. forget it. :(

On a more serious note, HM customs take a dim view of imported films with no UK board certification. Just ask yourself if it's worth it. :(

We all feel that DVDs should be cheaper. Until we get to that stage however,I'm sure you'll be more satisfied in the long run by buying DVDs from many of the sources for example recommended in the HCC forum. :)

Please excuse the long post, but I hope I've answered your query. Before you ask I don't work for any DVD Company :), just an enthusiast who demands the best from the format.

Del :)

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unless they are 1:1 copies of e.g. the R1 DVD I would not recommend them, you may face some or all problems mentioned by Del.

And I argree, why invest a lot of money into an AV system and then feed it with lousy software?
    If you want it cheap then buy a stack of pirated VCDs, but again you may need to put up with Thai or Chinese subtitles.

That said the 1:1 DVD copies sell here in Malaysia for less then GBP3.50 and since they are identical to the last bit (including the region code) there is nothing to worry about the quality.

4. Cinders

Cinders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been buying the odd cheap dvd from the web. Films that I'm not too bothered about, but wouldn't mind seeing, like Vertical Limit for example, I bought this before it was released. They're not bad for £8. All the latest as well.

Dunno who makes them, this was not a copy of the R1 dvd, and it was Region 0 in NTSC format.

The transfer quality was as good as any dvd I've seen and the dolby digital soundtrack was fine.

I also got Castaway, Dungeons and Dragons and they picture quality again was excellent.

I got the well-talked about Star Wars Phantom Menace cut from laser disk - although the quality wasn't as good as any of the others.

As for decent films, I will buy the originals, I have just ordered some decent ones.

R1 Unbreakable
    R2 Silence Of The Lambs SE
    R2 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Matt.

5. ThunderSUB

ThunderSUB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A friend of mine recently borrowed me some R0 movies. They were in NTSC format and played well on a non modified Sony DVP-S7700. Although the packaging was identical to the original titles, I think they are copies as in some titles the DVD Menu doesn't work and in all of them the DTS soundtrack wasn't available.

Picture quality and DD soundtrack were very good, maybe not as good as an original title but good enough to watch and enjoy.

Available subtitles : English and Malay

I know he's ordering these R0 titles from a website but he refuses to tell me about it (he's making a profit in reselling these R0 titles).

Can anyone e-mail me a trustworthy website from which I could order some R0 NTSC DVD's ? If so, please e-mail me at [email protected]
    Thanks !