1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs for GPB3.35 only

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Now I got your attention, didn't I? But hold on, I am not bull****ting you - so spare a minute or two and read on:

Living in Malaysia I got used to pirated VCD which now sell at GPB1 or less and recently pirated DVDs went down from RM70 (around GBP13) to RM30 (~GBP6).
    As said this are pirated once, probably based on LD or other sources.

Yesterday I was walking around one of the shopping centers to see if I can get a R1 copy of CTHD when a lady at a small stall stopped me and offered DVDs for RM18 (GBP3.35) only.
    Having made bad experience with those copies I wasn't much interested and wanted to walk off to go to my R1 supplier but my local friend who is not willing (or rather able) to afford original DVDs got interested, especially when she mentioned that some of the discs are not "local productions" but rather copies of R1 DVDs, some even with DTS.

Still suspicious about it she started playing one and my first look confirmed what I thought: a blur picture which was even tilted.
    She ensured that this was due to the TV and she showed a few others with exactly the same effects.
    My friend however could not resist "Gladiator" (in DTS ES) and bought it upon we went to my place and checked it out.

And I must say I was deeply impressed: it was an identical copy of the R1 disc down to the last bit - literally.
    Hence there was not fault with the picture and the soundtrack, a comparision to my R4 copy could not show any difference.

Needless to say that it did not include the disc with the extras, but what else would you expect for GBP3.35?

Very tempting, now I just wonder when they copy the first Mercedes down here .... :D

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Reiner

I was in Kuala Lumpur last year and saw how blatant the piracy is out there!

I went into a shopping mall and walked into a reputable department store. Saw the a games section and went there to see what they sold. To my surprise 90% of the stock was pirated!

During my time there I managed to find loads of pirate shops. Much more than are allowed in Hong Kong these days.

On the subject of the Gladiator DVD, I tend to think that if a film has already been available on DVD for a while then all the pirates do is master it off that. Which is why it is so good. Whereas if say, they offered you a DVD of SW:TPM it will be off laser or worse - a camcorder at the cinema!

I actually enjoyed my visit to Malaysia. Food is cheap, people are nice and weather is much better than the UK. May go again soon.

Ono

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Malaysia is always trying to set world records to attract more tourists:

Beside the tallest building and flag pole in the world they also rank very high in traffic accidents and second (after China) in the piracy business.

Like you said, those are openly sold basically everywhere and the governments efforts to curb piracy are ... oh, what efforts? :D

But I agree, food is pretty good (Chinese especially) and bloody cheap while people can be really nice - unless they drive any motorized vehicle that is - though the weather can be quite boring if you have been here as long as I have. But at least you know what you get ...

Should you come around here don't forget to give me a ring!

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So whats the deal with bringing them back to the UK?
    Surely if you are caught they would confiscate them? or would you pay duty on them?

5. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    FLOYD, If you get caught then you get caught! It's so cheap that the financial loss is not too bad.

As long as you don't pack your suitcases full of pirate goods it should be OK.

REINER
    Your views on traffic are quite valid mate. I hired a Nissan Serena and on my first drive in central KL got the wing mirror lopped off by a bus!

Won't be going anywhere for a bit. Wife is expecting kid in October :)

Would love to go to Sepang for Grand Prix though.