DVDR880 Disc recognition Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Charlie1954, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Charlie1954

Charlie1954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips DVDR880, bought at Christmas. I have had no real problems until in the last few days I found a number of commercial DVDs (all region2) that will not play. The screen displays "No Disc". They all play in my son's PS2 and on a PC. Any ideas? Other commercial DVDs all play OK.

Thanks,

Charlie

2. rabbie

rabbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned a dvdr890 for the same reason. Sometimes it would recognise disc's and sometimes not. When it was taken back to Richer Sounds the sales guy said that they had taken quite a few back with that problem.

3. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    See this thread on DVDPlusRW.org.

It's a common fault with Philips DVDRs. Mine has just been repaired under warranty for the second time for this fault.

Michael.

4. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .... and my 890 is going back for a refund to RS on Saturday after four months of pretty trouble-free use. But this week, got "Disk Error" when recording and the recording itself is broken-up, stutters, freezes and plays back previously recorded bits of other programmes. Also had it stuttering and freezing on a brand new copy of BFGW hired from Blockbuster last weekend too. We had the same problem with a couple of commercial DVD's too a while back with "No Disk" on the display. Found that powering the machine down with the disk in place and firing to up again made it recognise it.

I think that these units had been pushed out in time for the xmas rush and had not been thoroughly tested. I believe that there are a number of issues in the laser section caused through overheating or laser failure - I understand there is a second generation laser assembly being fitted on machines that are returned and on those built after the begining of December. Part of the issue is that some use their machine far more than others - we have recorded probably 50 or 60 DVD's and with playback, it's probably around the 100 mark. So, it's possible that the problems don't manifest themselves until after a fair amount of use. I can't be bothered to wait for upto two months for the recorder to go back to Philips for repair and I'll now wait for a few months to see what the new Sony's / an other manufacturers +RW recorders perform prior to sinking my "hard earned" into this technology. BTW - I think the same can be said for the Philips TV's - our 9527 bought just before Christmas is currently in for repair too! AGHHHHH!!!!