DVDR80 switching of Nokia 221T

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JefUK, May 21, 2004.

1. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have had a DVDR80 since the start of the year and the G-Link has never reliably switched a Nokia 221T DTT receiver. It either refuses to switch the box on, or switches to the wrong channel. It is an intermittent problem, and is sometimes worse, sometimes OK. I have had many misleading discussions with Philips about the problem, and the unit has also been back to Philips for "repair". I very much like the recorder, but cannot rely upon it to make unattended recordings.

I now have the option of a full refund or to choose another brand. I would like to take the refund and buy another DVDR80, but need to be sure that this is not an inherent problem with the R80.

Has anyone used a DVDR80 to reliably switch a Nokia 221T DTT receiver? :lease:

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Why don't you set the timer on the 221T, and use the External Record mode on the DVDR80? Might be more reliable. ;)

I stopped using my 221T, as it kept crashing after being on more than a couple of hours. :(

3. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have used the Nokia timer, but of course it does not have the advantages of GuidePlus, mainly the ease of use and the broadcast schedule updates.

I want to establish whether this is an inherent problem with the DVDR80 before I buy a new one. If it as a common problem then I may as well buy a DVDR75 or 70, use the Nokia timer, and save some money.

By the way, the Nokia does freeze occasionally but only every 3 or 4 weeks or so. The last software update improved the recovery from interference spikes.

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mine started crashing more after an update, but, of course, you can't uninstall them. I do a lot of recording, and I could practically guarantee my 221T would crash after 90 - 120 minutes.

Just another suggestion, assuming the DVDR80 uses an IR transmitter to control the STB, have you tried repositioning the units, so that the IR transmitter on the DVDR80, and the sensor on the 221T are more in line with each other? Also worth ensuring that neither Infra Reds are obstructed.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is it possible that the G-link signals to the Nokia are too fast? I assume it triggers the box to turn on, then selects the channel. If the second follows the first too quickly then the STB may ignore it.
    I can certainly beat my Grundig GDT1000 by hand with ease.
    If the link relies on just the STB channel number to both turn it on and select the correct channel, maybe this isn't how the Nokia works.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Does the DVDR80 switch the 221T off once the timer programs have finished? If not, it might be like my old Nokia On Digital box, where it switches on to the channel last selected before it was switched off. If that's the case, one solution is to make sure the 221T is set to the channel you want to subsequently record, before powering off the 221T. Not ideal, but it's how I use my On Digital box with my JVC DR-M1. Once it's powered on, the channels change OK. The other way, of course, is to leave the 221T powered on all the time, when timer recordings are due.

7. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for the further suggestions.

Simon6776

I have tried the G-Link transmitter in every position possible without any improvement. Leaving the Nokia on and switched to the correct channel does work, but sometimes I want another programme on another channel afterwards.

edyadd

I suspect you are right about the IR signals being too fast for the Nokia. The DVDR80 outputs a channel number which both turns the Nokia on and selects the channel. The Nokia remains on after the recording has finished. The problem is worse when a 2 digit programme number is output, the failure rate sort of doubles. I suspect it's some sort of timing problem with the IR coded signal.

8. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It seems to work in the same way as my Nokia On Digital box, then.

Yes, if the 221T is already on, it should change channels successfully for other recordings, i.e. Eastenders following Corrie, which is how mine works. It's the switching on and selecting the channel which seems to be the problem.

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm surprised you find the Guide Plus method of setting recordings satisfactory, bearing in mind the terrible punctuality of programs start and end times compared with published times. Or does Guide Plus have a reliable version of Video Plus PDC (Program Delivery Control)?
    I assume that I have to adjust all VCR VideoPlus settings to one minute early to start and 5 or 6 mins late to finish. ITV is the worst offender - I assume it's done deliberately to stop you seeing the start of a program on a competing channel.
    Given the excessive number of ads and breaks on ITV now, it would be easy to make it punctual.
    On the other hand we now record almost everything we want to watch on ITV and so can skip all the ads completely. The Steradent and Leerdammer splash screens make it particularly easy to spot the progarm restart points while fast forwarding ;-)

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Know what you mean about punctuality. I've been recording stuff for so long now, I have got to know which programs start early, and which run late. BBC1 progs leading up to the News always seems to start a minute early, BBC2 always end 2 minutes late leading up to Newsnight, and Channel 4 early evening often start early, and late evening seem fairly accurate. ITV has got better recently, since the launch of the new News @ 10:30, which now always starts on time, so things are a bit more punctual during the evening, but I still set timers a minute early if it doesn't crash any other timer settings.

PDC does not work at all on Digital channels, and I have found it to be, at best, hit and miss on analogue, especially BBC1 / BBC2, which can often start recording, then finish a couple of minutes later. :mad: I prefer to use my own judgement, and aside from last minute program changes, on the most part, my recordings are successful. Of course, the Olympics is bound to bugger everything up! :mad: :mad:

As far as EPG goes, I fail to see it's use until it goes 7 days. :rolleyes:

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wondered if Philips had devised their own PDC with Guide Plus. Oh well, can't have it all. I suppose the solution to your 221T problem is just to leave it on all the time. In a way I prefer driving recording from the STB because that locks it for the duration of the prog, and stops someone inadvertantly changing channels on it or turning it off.
    Too much technology :confused:

12. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The GuidePlus programme timings are updated several times a day, but last minute changes are not updated. PDC can be used with GuidePlus on terrestial analogue (not ITV in my region) but not on digital. Digtal timings can be adjusted by adding time increments onto the end of a programme. The system works very well and is very easy and quick to use.