DVDR80 or HS2?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TraceyJ, Dec 11, 2003.

1. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've spent all evening browsing the forum but I think all your very useful posts have left me with a few questions!

I've just had sky+ installed and love the functionality of that. I was going to buy a DVDR80 today but then thought I'd better do some more research.

Do I need another hard drive recorder with sky+? My main use will be to record music programmes and make compilation dvd's of my favourite artists. I will also be converting my vhs compilations to dvd.

Is it possible to edit recordings on the hard drive recorder so that I just get left with say 5 minutes of an hour's recording? Do you get a picture index?

I'm also interested in the disk management system the DVDR80 offers - does the HS2 have this also?

I have a dvd recorder on my pc too but it's quite new and I haven't really got to grips with it :rolleyes: :blush:

Also have camcorder so the link for that would be useful too I guess, although not essential.

Hope this post makes some sense. Any specific help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Tracey

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If any type of editing is to be done,the HS2 is exactly what you need.You can record all your music videos to the HDD,then edit out all you do not want,and even reorder them.You can then divide them and title them separately,and dub over to dvd-r in any order you want.Any Philips recorder can only dream about such functionality

3. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks so much for your reply. I was just a little overwhelmed with everything I'd been reading :blush:

editing to say that I found a manual for the DVDR80 on the Philips website but couldn't find a manual on the panasonic site - did find some impressive pics though

4. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go to amazon & search for panasonic HS2 there is an option to download the manual. I have just bought an HS2 & I am sure you wont be disappointed. I have been doing exactly what you intend to do creating a Xmas songs DVD. I just leave Sky plus recording various music channels through the day. Wiz through them later recording to HS2 HDD when i see something I want. I then edit them more precisely & copy to DVD-R. Perfec!

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philips dvd recorders seem to give lower picture quality than all others, and panasonic has so many useful features, look at dmre100 aswell if you have the spare cash, will save you alot of time converting!!

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If ever there was something the HS2(or any editable HDD device)was built for,the music video compilations is it.Absolutely ideal.

7. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    deleted as I double posted sorry!

8. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the link to the manual

looks like this will definitely suit my requirements, can't push to the model you suggested bobbypunk as I've already gone £200 over my original plan :rolleyes: will be better in the long run I think!!

when I eventually get to record from the HS2 to dvd, will the quality be the same using the fast transfer? apologies for the rather dumb question - I'm a bit of a beginner :blush:

loving this forum though - just read about being able to record 2 channels at the same time on sky + need to go figure that out now as mine doesn't seem to want to do it!!

thanks for all your help :kisses:

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There is no fast transfer in the hst between the hdd and dvd, unless you use ram. Consequently there is always some conversion loss. This is why all recordings to be kept should be recorded to the hdd at best quality and then dubbed to the dvd using the fr mode to maximise final quality.
    You will notice in practice that some recordings are better than others as sometimes the source is poor. Occasionally I have recorded to the hdd and not bothered to archive even though I wanted to as the quality was unacceptable.

Transfer between hdd and ram and back again is lossless and can be done at high speed as long as the bitrate is not changed. If you change it ie 2 hours at best quality from the hdd to a ram disc will have to be decoded and recoded to fit and this will happen at real time.

10. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the info Ken :)

my order has gone through now so hopefully my HS2 will arrive early this week - really hope it does as my sky + is almost full!!

so long as the picture quality is better than video I'll be happy!

11. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Picture quality definately an improvement on VHS....

Went for the HS2 myself with Sky+ just to make things easier when creating DVD-R's...

12. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sounds to me like the Philips would suit you well since you already have a hard disk on sky, and the philips will allow you to edit out adverts and overrun on +R/+RW discs directly.

With the HS2 you'd need to record twice: once onto hard disk so you can edit, and then again onto dvd-r.

The Panasonic machines lack nice features like disc management and guideplus, but they do have a good reputation for picture quality and reliability. There is no picture index either on HS2 as far as I'm aware.

13. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope, only the more expensive Panasonic E100 has the Picture Index...

Recording from Shy+ to HS2 Hard Drive & then dubbing to DVD-R sounds a bit long winded, but there's no need to actually be present during the copying from Sky+ & dubbing to DVD-R pieces....

All I need to do is spend a little time with the HS2 editing out breaks or other assorted crap.

The main thing that attracted me to the Panasonic brand was the Flexible Recrding mode. Couldn't see anything like this on the Philips.

Plus, I've had Panasonic kit in the past (2 TV's) that I've been really pleased with so when the Panasonic DVD Recorder range consistantly got good reviews, I decided it was the one to go for...

14. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really,to suggest that the Philips models are suited to the original job of compiling music video is a bit ridiculous.Yes,the HS2 is an additional HDD,but Sky+ is not editible.If you transfer a 2 hour show to +RW,how do you go about doing any editing.You cannot partially erase a programme,only skip,and the disc space is not recovered.As for reordering-not a hope.As I said above,this kind of disc flexibility is way beyond any Philips recorder.
    Bobones-guideplus is handy,but if you have Sky+,who needs a dvdr for off air anyway.Does it work for satellite BTW?
    The skipping feature on DVD+ is useful for watch once stuff,but as the disc space is not recovered until full erasure,its nearly useless for this particular job type.

15. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My HS2 arrived tonight and is now set up. Just a quick question that someone may be able to help with!

When the sky + people came to set up in the week I noticed they changed the picture setting to RGB. I've seen references to RGB in this forum and that some dvd recorders have RGB inputs (?) and others don't but the sky picture is a bit fuzzy (or at least the writing is) just like before the sky installer changed the RGB setting. Is there something I should be doing on the HS2 to get rid of the 'fuzziness'?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge!!

Thanks again
    Tracey

16. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure the AV2 input on the HS2 is set to RGB.If your tv accepts RGB make sure the AV1 output is also set to RGB.Chances are only 1 Scart socket on your tv is ok for RGB.Make sure the HS2 is connected to the right one.Also,make sure you have connected the 'tv scart' of Sky+ to the HS2.The 'video scart' does not output RGB.With it set that way,you can watch Sky+ as normal when the HS2 is in standby.When first used,RGB can make titling,or things like the Sky guide look a bit overpowering,but normal pictures should be great.A slight reduction in contrast will sort out the guide if its really too much.Let me know how you get on.My guess is that the next thing you will want to know is when your HDD has lots of vids on,do you use'PLAYLIST' or'DIRECT NAVIGATOR'.Ask when you need to.

17. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks very much for your help phelings - will work through that little lot tomorrow :) off to bed now though, been an exciting evening with my new machine!!

18. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmmm, I'm a bit confused with all these different connections!! It seems to be working and recording ok so I'll leave as it is for now.

Hopefully this will be a quick question - what sort of dvd-r's do you all buy for your HS2? Saw 20 panasonic ones in a shop today for £50 - are they so much better than the unbranded significantly cheaper ones? Haven't bought any yet.

Also, if I record on the HS2 - can I then copy the dvd on my pc to other types of dvd? I have a few DVD+R's that I'd like to use as back ups and I'll also be able to play those on the pc anyway.

Thanks again
    Tracey

19. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought some of the Panasonic x4 ones at that price when I was struggling to get my Toshiba 210 to read dvd-r reliably. They were no better than anything else to be honest, so I ditched the Tosh for a Panny S75 that reads everything well. Quality branded media may have better long-term storage prospects, but you should try some cheaper options first - something around £1 would be better value.

I have never had a burn failure on my E50; everything I've thrown at it has worked, including 50p Ebuyer whitetops, but others report that their machines are more fussy about media type.

Why don't you buy a couple of sample packs from www.bigpockets.co.uk and www.blankdiscshop.co.uk to see what your machine likes or doesn't? www.lynxdv.co.uk even have a guarantee for the media they sell - their cheap RAM discs also work great with Panasonic recorders so pick up a couple of them to make the postage worthwhile.

There should be no problem copying your dvd-rs to dvd+r on your PC.

20. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £50 for 20 discs is more than you need to pay.I use TDK,JVC and Verbatim at £1.25 each in jewel cases -no failures yet.
    Reported problems do seem to come mostly from those trying to use cheap discs.

21. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks once again for the advice, I've just ordered a trial pack. Can't find any 'quality branded' dvd-r's on those sites though.

22. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Out of interest, where do you get your JVC's et al for £1.25, phelings?

TraceyJ - I agree - I've had my HS2 for two days, and it's easily the most impressive piece of kit I've bought in years. I have written successfully to Datasafe Ritek 1x-2x (see product DV 329 here), and will be trying others in days to come.

Thank you to all on this forum for information and recommendations.

Mark

23. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £50 for 20 Panasonics is waaaay too much to pay...

The local Panasonic shop does a 5 pack for a tenner. www.7dayshop.com will do 10 panasonics for just over £16....

So far, I've only tried Panasonics & Mirror 2X DVD-R's in my HS2. Got the Mirror's for a pound a disc from Poundland...

Can get them cheaper online,but only bought 3 or 4 initially to try out. Had one of 3 discs that took three attempts to write a title to the disc, but it has burnt fine & plays back with no problems....

24. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get my blank discs via a trader who buys from KVJFairdeal in the East End.They advertise in every issue of What Video

25. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Many thanks. I used to buy blank VHS tapes from KVJ years back.

26. agnetha

agnetha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the slight pause and sound drop out you get when compiling? I have hundreds of music compilations - I want to divide them into discs by artist but am concerned about the above mentioned pause/sound problem. Currently I'm separating each video into it's own programme, compiling and then reordering at the dubbing stage. Would it be better to just record an entire VHS and then edit?

27. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is probably better to edit the whole tape on the hard drive at xp and then dub a playlist to a dvd. The slight pause in sound is inevitable given the way the recorder handles frames. It is difficult to explain, but I gather you can only edit at each 4th frame, and this leaves a gap in the sound. It is not really a fault and has been much discussed at this forum http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/default.asp

28. agnetha

agnetha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's sort of what I'm doing - I'm dubbing a whole tape to the HD and then editing before recording onto a DVD. Would it be better to not make each video into a separate programme (I'm only doing that so it's easy to skip from video to video)???